8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » TCM channel.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TCM channel.
Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2018 05:35 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I should have headed this topic as 'The TCM channel in the UK', as I have the impression that the US version is a very different animal.
As one who scours the listings magazines for interesting and unusual film items, my main grouch about TCM in Britain is that while it shows the cream of the crop, it endlessly repeats the same material week after week.
Occasionaly i see dvd sets inspired by TCM containing subjects featuring the films of Lon Chaney and other actors that very rarely feature on the UK channel. For years they have been repeating into the ground the same old subjects, yet apparently in the US you have interesting documentaries on various subjects.
Have I got the wrong impression?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 08, 2018 10:42 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, not at all - Here, films are repeated, yet they are also categorized; Noir, as example runs Sunday nights and many films are 1st-runners - Particular month/year will highlight a certain director or actor, perhaps celebrating a milestone birthday and so forth - I have written repeated requests for the same films, and certainly every one was eventually hauled out of the vault, for this I'm grateful - We do have documentaries on shorts, newreels, foreign productions and the such - Teasers, bumpers and unusual films are interspersed between some showings, making it almost a "Bijou" feel at best - I envy your BBC Channel 1, I think, as they used to air RKO shorts for a time, maybe they still do? - Cheers, Shorty

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 08, 2018 10:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BBC owns the rights to hundreds of RKO features which they air time and time again, usually on BBC Two.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 08, 2018 02:25 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TCM in the USA is wonderful - no commercials! Sadly, the great Hollywood Reporter columnist Robert Osbourne, who did the intros, died last year, and will forever be missed.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2018 04:04 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you've confirmed that TCM is quite different across the pond.
While the BBC does run fairly regular 'classic' features, it's usually from the same group of titles.
Over the christmas period, the arts channel have run some very interesting documentaries on Chaplin, Keaton, and Laurel and Hardy, and the Talking Pictures channel runs many titles that started out as 'Quota quickies' in the thirties, films shot cheaply during the night on existing sets, to offset what the government considered a flood of American films.
Another interesting feature of the Talking pictures channel are amateur films and even package movies!

[ January 08, 2018, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Allan Broadfield ]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 09, 2018 02:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking Pictures TV also borrow films from a well-known collector/dealer.

--------------------
Maurice

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 09, 2018 09:46 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We occasionally have the excellent Brownlow/Gill "Hollywood", "The Unknown Chaplin" and "Buster Keaton; A Hard Act To Follow" - No doubt there will be others on Chase, Arbuckle and more - Cheers all, Shorty

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2018 08:27 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would very much like to know if TCM has, in fact, shown the Brownlow/Gill "Hollywood". I know there are copyright issues regarding home video release. Are there no issues with broadcasting it?

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 10, 2018 10:35 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, TCM hasn't aired them - This series was on WLIW-21 (PBS related), years ago - Fortunately, when Suncoast Video was around, I went to the local Mall and bought the VHS-set - Good thing too - Shorty

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2018 04:18 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The VHS set of 'Hollywood' would have been a great buy. I recorded the series on VHS as it was first aired, but did it on LP to save on tape, which slightly compromised quality. Transfered later to DVD.

[ January 15, 2018, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Allan Broadfield ]

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2018 11:53 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Caruso, I discovered this series on public television in the 1980s. At that time, I recorded them on VHS. I still have the tapes which I also transferred to DVD. Alas, my tapes were recorded at the slowest speed and my TV reception with an antenna was fair at best. I remember SunCoast selling the VHS tapes but I passed on them. When I got my first LaserDisc player, I could have purchased the boxed set but I couldn't afford it. In retrospect, I should have bought it. Damn the cost. I'm so sorry that I didn't. This series is a definitive look at the birth of Hollywood and the movie industry in the U.S. up to the advent of sound films. The interviews with actors, directors and others who lived through it are priceless. For those of you who haven't seen it, I urge you to seek it out. I know the series was (and maybe still is) on YouTube.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC