8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Talking Pictures Channel UK.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Talking Pictures Channel UK.
David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2018 12:02 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a interesting short called Wilf Watters Presents Final Performance based on closing day of the Regent Cinema Amersham in 1962.

It takes you into the projection box and you see the film projectionist performing his duties at a 35mm KALEE projector with a fine view of the carbon arc and the operator rewinding a spool of film. The print is a bit dark but still enjoyable.

Ah the good old days ! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2018 04:52 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to seeing that on Friday afternoon. it's a shame that so many cinemas were either turned into bingo halls or demolished. What is crazy, is that our local council allowed the demolition of the local cinema so that flats could be built on the site, then a couple of months later said 'What this town needs is a cinema!'. They were looking to build on a green field site, but nothing materialised.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2018 05:05 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert which local cinema did they demolish ?

--------------------

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2018 02:50 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was the ABC Regal in Abingdon, Berkshire. It doesn't look much like a picture palace here. It was being used a few nights a week and someone wanted to open it permanently, but the council refused.
 -

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2018 03:08 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least if they were converted to bingo halls the building was still there and if there was more need for a cinema it could be brought back. It seems bingo halls are having a hard time too now, due to on-line bingo and some are bring converted to massive pubs.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2018 04:09 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the smoking ban hit them, as well as pubs, very hard. I wonder how many former Cinemas, now Bingo halls, would offer the public the comfort choice, and convenience they appear to demand if they were returned to their former usage. Many don't look attractive (rather like your picture) and looks are so important today.

--------------------
Dave

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2018 03:29 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the cinemas in Oxford was almost destroyed by fire around 1962, this was put down to a cigarette; but a few months later it re-opened looking as good as new. If I remember correctly, didn't they have an ashtray or stubber on the back of the seats?

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2018 05:00 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert I never visited that REGAL cinema.

However I did frequent the ABC's in George Street and Magdalen Street in Oxford.

Also went to the PENULTIMATE PICTURE PALACE ON Cowley Road and the NOT THE MOULIN ROUGE in Headington.

My most visited cinema was THE PHOENIX on Walton Street as it was just up at the top of the road from where I stayed on Walton Well Road in Oxford.
[Smile]

--------------------

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2018 09:19 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw that I missed that programme on Talking Pictures TV. I saw the Randolph Scott film, but not the one that followed it. I thought it was on today. No doubt it will come up again; I have 'Fighting Man of the Plains' on DVD, so maybe will watch that today.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2018 11:14 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert you can check ahead via the internet to see if its coming back on as they do a play list of whats coming on in future.
Just go to the Talking Pictures web site. [Smile]

--------------------

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2018 11:45 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks David, I did check out the rest of this month, but nothing yet, but will watch out for it. Wilf Watters is behind a lot of the amateur footage on railway DVDs.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC