8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » "Born Free" on blu-ray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Born Free" on blu-ray
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 10, 2018 09:00 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember watching it at the cinema long ago back in the 1960s, later in the 1970s when Columbia Pictures released it on Super8 I bought a new print. What impressed me with this Super8 release, was that you got a full 400ft reel 20 minutes worth. Back then a lot of the digests like Universal 8, you were lucky to get 16-17 minutes worth of film, so "Born Free" was a real winner in that respect. Later I sold my print..big mistake..but later got a Cineavision print.

Last year I ran this Scope print but unfortunate the color has gone to the point, its no longer worth screening anymore.

So move on to late last year when I saw it was released by Eureka Entertainment on blu-ray, it was a must have to buy through amazon.uk. Overall, they have done a nice job of "Born Free" and it comes as a dual format two disc release, one being the blu-ray the other the dvd.

If "Born Free" is one of your favorite films from the past, then this blu-ray release will certainly please you...here are a couple of screen shots from the other night.
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 11, 2018 01:28 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking great as always Graham, we still have two of 400ft cinevision prints on super 8. The colours are odd as there just isnt that much colour in there but they are not fade to red or pink, its more of a low colour grennish look.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2018 03:10 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My copy has always had low colour, even when first bought.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 11, 2018 09:08 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian i think that may be the case.we bought a second cinevision copy as the advert stated good colour.while it was an improvement it was still quite poor.

[ January 11, 2018, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Tom Photiou ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 11, 2018 12:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That, and i think that it was originally printed just a Tad bit bright, but it still looks good, scratches and all! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2018 03:17 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did get a full feature release in the UK Columbia/Warner, but hire only. Not 100% on this, but I'm sure it was advertised by Jef Films full too.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2018 10:38 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too have a copy of 400ft cinevision print on super 8 and it looks more washed-out that faded colours.I don't have the lens to unsqueeze but that's ok.
I used to have a "normal" 400ft print on super 8 with exactly the same look.
But I love this film so I am happy with however it is [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 12, 2018 01:18 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton, thats the best description and pretty much covers it, no fade just washed out with very little colour.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2018 03:04 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My prints are the same too,I've added Matt Monro singing Born Free at the beginning and end to one of mine and really makes a difference to it,was a big hit and I think won an Oscar for Don Black,funny when you think they first released the film without it and then changed their minds and changed the prints to include the song,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Jim Cowell
Junior

- posted January 15, 2018 07:30 AM      Profile for Jim Cowell   Email Jim Cowell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip, Graham. Always nice to know when the good old flicks come to BluRay.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC