8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Audio Vinyl Turntable Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Audio Vinyl Turntable Question
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2018 04:49 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Sony PSLX-250H non-usb belt driven t/t connected to a phono amp (turned off the turntable’s built in pre amp) and then connected a pair of Harmon Kardon pc speakers. Now I have no issues with the clarity or the volume, but I can’t seem to eliminate a hum that can be heard even when nothing is playing. I get the hum whether I use an external phono amp or the unit’s built in pre amp. The t/t does NOT have a ground wire to connect so it all must be self-contained. Hooked the t/t to my daughter’s boom box and the hum was there so it’s definitely eminating from the t/t. Thoughts....? Could it just be the way the $99 t/t was built?

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2018 05:39 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the wires from the cartridge and/or the wires you use to cnnect this unit tothe other ones you used.

--------------------
Maurizio

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2018 06:48 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there's no ground wire, I'd venture that something's missing. I've never heard of a cartridge without one. And without one, every one I've ever used hums loudly. Good luck, Brad.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2018 06:59 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cartridge is all intact. The rca wires I use I connected to other elements and no hum. The t/t manual specifies that the unit is grounded internally plus there’s no slot in the back to insert one if I wanted to.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2018 08:38 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2018 04:08 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive had hum when the push on connectors for the wire at the cartridge end have been a little loose or badly connected try touching the insulation around them when the amp is on and see if the hum decreases or increases. If it does there is a bad connection there and they may need tightening or cleaning.

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2018 11:59 AM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something internally is not grounded.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2018 08:04 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad, had a similar problem with technics sl 1200 and this does have a grounding cable, if the head shell screws off the arm, check the connection pins in the arm as these can get crud on them and the tiny electrical contact between the two is compromised, I used a tiny piece of emery paper on a match stick and cleaned each one, fixed the humming and did not return.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2018 05:06 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cartridge is permanent and not removable. Only the stylus is removable. When I place my finger on the ground screw on the back of my phono amp the hum disappears. The t/t definitely does not have a ground cable nor anywhere to connect one. I don’t want to dis-assemble the t/t because that could result in more problems than I want. Not being electrically skilled I could see myself getting into a pile of poo.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2018 06:54 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turntables need grounding or there will be a hum. You say you are using a separate phono amp but is that grounded? When you touch the grounding terminal you are yourself making the ground so there is the proof it needs it. A hi fi amplifier with a phono input will have a grounding screw and that is for the turntable.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC