8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Room temperature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Room temperature
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2018 11:51 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been reading on a Kodak website that cold or lack of lubrication can cause cracks in the perforations. I am currently checking every inch of a film that has a lot of these cracks. All my films are well lubricated, but they are stored in an unheated room, and this year has been colder than we have known for a while. i'm wondering if film should be stored in room temperature for a few hours prior to projecting?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2018 12:10 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Robert, I think that's a good idea. I have the same situation with my films stored in an unheated room. I bring whatever films I intend to screen into room temp for at least an hour or so during these colder months...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 12, 2018 12:22 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The room i use does have heating and goes on with the rest of the house BUT, in the night or through the summer it is a very cool room. I keep meaning to get a thermometer to see what the temperature is. All my films are checked regularly as i do tend to use it most nights and i know every film we have is now guarded with filmguard. [Wink]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 12, 2018 02:00 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BFI at their archive in Berkhamsted store their films at minus 5 degrees Celsius, and at 35% relative humidity.
I can assure you that it's cold, I have been in there!

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2018 02:10 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Joe, in future I will sort out any film I want to watch and keep it in the living room a few hours. I haven't experienced this before. I also discovered that several of the perforation ends had been broken off; does anyone know what could cause this. I always clean the gate area before use, and use a vacuum with a fine nozzle to pick up any debris that might be lurking .

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 12, 2018 02:36 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No trouble like that - I maintain a cool environment through the warmer months, but now in the winter no split or broken prefs at all - I have sieves, baking soda (my own invemtion towards VS), and maintain a constant low-humidity airflow throughout - Having many boxed films, my work is cut out for me - Shorty

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 12, 2018 02:48 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert, could you post the website you’ve been reading regarding this as it would be interesting to read.

Thanks.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2018 03:48 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob,
https://www.kodak.com/motion/support/technical_information/storage/handling_of_processed_film/default.htm

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2018 04:51 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always let my films come up to room temperature before projection.

I remove them from the cans or boxes and let them breath in the room first.

I always give my projectors a good run first too in order to get them up to speed and remove any chance of condensation that may have settled on the metal gates and runner guides.

[Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2018 05:25 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll do the same in future David.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 14, 2018 02:17 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, as you may know, my projectors are permanently set up, but despite this, when i go in to start a show, (if i havnt used the projector for a few days or more), i always switch it on to run for a few minuets just to warm everything up, the condensation in the gate is one i have not thought of to be honest so good point [Wink]
After my shows i dont use the cold PVC covers, i pop a medium size towel over the machine and it completely covers it in the same way a pvc cover does. It may not be an advantage but i feel it does do something to keep moisture from cold air out. Being as anal as i am the towels are all washed every couple of weeks with the rest of the dirties [Big Grin] [Wink]

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2018 06:31 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert... it is a good habit to get into before a show.

Tom ... Even in the Cinemas every morning we would always warm up our projectors by giving them a good run after first giving them good clean and any maintenance as required.

We did this in all seasons of the year.
[Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC