8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Blu Ray Disc Rot (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Blu Ray Disc Rot
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 22, 2018 07:42 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the good news is that the discs are all fine, they played perfectly on my Grandsons's Sony blu ray player, which was purchased a couple of month's ago.
So either my Panasonic player needs a firmware update, or it is in some kind of failure mode. DVD'S still play fine, but some of my blu rays will not play at all, or lock up. I suspect a failure in the player since these blu rays played fine a few months ago. I have not been able to upgrade the firmware. So I guess it's time for a new blu ray player.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2018 09:39 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blu Rays are quite a bit different in manufacture than DVDs, but thought I should note that we just had our DVD of "Finding Nemo" fail in multiple players. Looks brand new to the eye. And the Disney DVD Replacement Program was shut down a couple of years ago.

So I hope Blu Rays never get like this.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2018 03:24 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely just On Her Majesty's Secret Service from the Bond Blu-ray set refused to play in my older player attached to my DLP projector. It was OK on a cheaper, newer model in my dining room.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2018 05:42 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Just for my information, for those who are experiencing misfunctionning for Blu-Ray playing in first generation "Blu-Rays" players :

- Did you attempt to upgrade Firmware players ? (This is a bit "tricky", but sometime , very helpfull)

- If you transfer concerned "Blu-Ray" on a Hard Drive, created File does it launch properly ?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 24, 2018 12:44 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the plot thickens!
I have now successfully downloaded the latest Panasonic firmware into the player, but these particular BR discs still will not playback, and are not recognized by the player, even though they play fine on my Grandson's new Sony BR player.
So we know the discs are fine, and they played fine before on my own player. So this whole thing is a real puzzle.
I suspect a new BD player will solve the problem, but I hate to throw out this nice Panasonic unit.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2018 12:56 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
Maybe there is nothing wrong with the firmware. Maybe its just the laser has lost some of its power and cant read certain discs anymore. I had a similar problem on a DVD recorder where the laser couldn't always read discs or record them without errors. In the end I had to dump the recorder as I couldn't find a replacement laser easily.

Graham S

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 24, 2018 04:40 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have playback issues but moved over to sony players.

Seemed to be a good jump in picture quality as well.

Vastly improved the VP experiance.

I also like the synch adjust they have.

Best Mark.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2018 01:36 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, how did you eventually update the firmware?

This isn't a great situation for you, but at least it isn't disc rot.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 26, 2018 02:57 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob,
Downloading to a CD did not work, for whatever reason. So I gritted my teeth and plugged my computer LAN cable into the Panasonic BD player, and pressed 'firmware upgrade' on the menu. Lo and behold the latest firmware was installed perfectly. I thought for sure that I had the problem solved, but it made no difference at all. For whatever reason, these 3 discs will not play at all, even though they are fine on my grandson's Sony player.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2018 09:32 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not the best outcome Paul, but at least on the positive side the discs are OK.

Over the last few years I've being renting Blu-rays each week as there are few new movies I'd want to own. It's like having your own cinema in that you see a new movie each week or so and if it's poor, no problem, the rental is quite cheap...and if it's great, you've seen it on the big screen in a cinema environment.

Problem was, a lot of the rental discs just stuttered or failed on my older Pioneer (it's so far still perfect with any new disc) due to any even slight blemish on the disc, despite cleaning.

I bought a the new Panasonic specifically to run the rentals and thus far (two years or so in) it has been totally flawless.

Pioneer was about £600.00 back in the day and the Panasonic was under £200.00

The rare odd issue with new discs on the Pioneer (that Jaws 2 disc for example) was definitely software / hardware related as it loaded fine but jus won't access the menu...perfect on the Panny.

Looks like we may need to keep saving to replace our Blu-ray players every few years... [Frown]

Not film projectors are they... [Roll Eyes]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 27, 2018 10:59 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Blu Ray function of the player may be failing. Last night I showed the Blu Ray of Rear Window and it hung up about half way through. Maybe, as Adrian suggested, the blue laser is losing power. So I am pretty well resigned to having to purchase a new player. Another throw-away item that cannot be repaired economically! [Frown]
Which is exactly why our film projectors will keep chugging along for decades - most of the time they are easily fixed and are very durable in comparison with digital video equipment.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC