8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad ... Blu Ray Vs Film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad ... Blu Ray Vs Film
David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2018 07:36 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film has been one of my all time favourites since I first saw it as child on its first cinema release in 1958.

In fact it was one of the reasons I got into collecting 8mm home movie films away back in the 1960s.

I still have all those Columbia 200 ' colour / sound editions on Super 8mm all spliced together.

I also have the Derann 5 x 400 ' full length feature release.

Obtaining a good quality 16mm print has always alluded me for decades.

However I have never been altogether completely pleased with the 8mm prints.

So I bought the DVD which on projection is much better than my 8mm copies.

Now I am absolutely gobsmacked with the picture quality of the latest Blu-Ray release by Indicator.

Its probably the best I have ever seen in the home and probably as good as the original then new 35mm prints I saw away back in 1958.

Indicator have worked wonders with this Blu-Ray release restoration.

It has been give a 4K scan from the original negative and it is truly amazing. No evidence of any Digital DNR and right back to thee original film grain.

The colours are outstanding and the detail is incredible.
You can even see the brush strokes on the painted main titles.

I now doubt if I will ever be able to find a film copy that will look this good.

The sound has the options of the Original Mono ( which pleases me greatly ) or a 5.1 surround sound remix if that's your kind of thing.

Add to that the bonus extras which includes the 8mm Columbia 200' releases two of which are colour sound and the other two black and white silent ( mute ) editions so you can see how far things have evolved on the home movie collectors scene quality wise.

Even the disc box has reversible art work and also a DVD the same as the Blu-Ray version should you ever need it.

I wish I could mange some screen shots to let you have an idea of what I mean but I cant.

I cant praise this release highly enough save to say that it comes part of a box set of the other two Ray Harryhausen Sinbad films ... "The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad" and "Sinbad and The Eye Of The Tiger" which also have DVDs and lots of extras and reversible box artwork.

These two have been scanned from the original negatives at 2K resolution.

There is also a booklet on the Sinbad Trilogy included with great photos , drawings in colour and black and white , and interviews and details of the films.

All I can state is if you are a fan of these films and Ray Harryhausen go BUY IT NOW ! It is only a limited numbered edition set of 6000 worldwide.

I got mine from Amazon for only £ 43. 00. Next Day Delivery.

There are other sets from Indicator featuring ... Jason and the Argonauts / Mysterious Island / The First Men In The Moon and Rays other earlier black and white films.

So go get them while you can. You wont regret it.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

|  IP: Logged

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2018 12:55 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have all 3 sets. Although the 7th Voyage transfer is probably the best, the Columbia one is too grainy or noisy, the 16mm print I have is much more colorful and grainless. It is a Technicolor print. I have also had the 200 footers and the Derann feature which is surprisingly lacking in color and had red blotches as I remember. All in all, you would have to get a Tech print to improve over the Blu-ray. But I love all the extras. Great interview with Tom Baker.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 20, 2018 03:38 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought this four Bluray set a couple of years ago - an Australian import and a bargain for about £25 at the time:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Fantastic-Films-of-Ray-Harryhausen-Blu-ray/133381/

To me it looks great projected on Bluray 1080p via the Epson.

It seems a shame that as Indicator used 4k transfers they didn't release a 4K UHD / Bluray set to match rather than purely a Bluray release.

David / Larry have you seen this set and if yes what are your thoughts in comparison to the Indicator versions please?

Kevin

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2018 02:34 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry thanks for that tip about a Technicolor print on 16mm which will no doubt always be out of my reach.

Kevin sorry I cant comment about how the Indicator set compares with the other one as I don't have it and have not seen it yet.

--------------------

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2018 12:13 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing that attracted me to the Indicator releases are the extras. On the Australian releases I didn't notice any extras.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2018 05:06 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry besides the 4K and 2K scans it was also the amount of extras that made me decide to buy the Indicator set.

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2018 05:10 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello David

The Indicator releases are newer transfers from their description and reviews on DVD Beaver so it may be worth me 'double dipping' and buying these sets as well. I'm just trying to avoid buying twice and getting the same quality rather than better quality transfers.

Larry - the Australian disks are packed with extras, they are listed per disk on this review:

http://www.impulsegamer.com/the-fantastic-films-of-ray-harryhausen-blu-ray-review/

Kevin

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC