8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Maplin Collapses

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Maplin Collapses
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 28, 2018 07:07 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The electronics group Maplin has collapsed after sales talks broke down with a potential buyer.
Administrators will keep the stores open whilst continuing to search for firms interested in buying parts of the business.
I have always used my local store for many purchasers, including projector lamps.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Mark Davies
Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2018 07:29 AM      Profile for Mark Davies   Email Mark Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is really sad indeed Maurice,
Maplins was THE place to go for non-mainstream items et al. Hardly any shops left selling that kind of stuff and I doubt you will get the knowledge base from PC World, not that they attempt to sell anything that's not pre-configured by a large manufacturer.
Sad Day.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 28, 2018 08:58 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry to hear about Maplins - what other chain of shops in the UK stocks items so useful to film collectors, such as 2 pin din plugs? One of the most best items I've ever bought there is a simple connector that enables you to connect two leads with standard jack plugs. Really useful when projecting in larger halls. I hope someone can perhaps revive their fortunes,as seems to have happened with HMV.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2018 02:19 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm missing something, but why didn't they just just revert to an online business? It seems that the reason they've gone bust is because of the overheads of running conventional shops and staff wage bills. They also blame poor sales, but online stores seem to be able to cope with these fluctuations.
Let's hope we are still able to buy our bits and bobs online, which most likely is possible, but I did like browsing their shops. Some of their staff were extremely knowledgeable and that will be a big loss for us and a great pity for them.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2018 02:29 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its the same with film conventions not enough supporters look how many we have lost over the years like ealing and many others loads of excuses like mowing the lawn taking the dog for a walk use them or lose them its no good crying over spilt milk

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2018 02:59 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps, like Woolworths in the UK, someone will buy the name (and possibly the warehouse stock and run it as an on-line only business. I fell they over expanded and increased the range too much. I bought a snow shovel there yesterday - enterprising og hte staff to put them in a bin by the door, but not the core electronics range.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2018 03:39 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woolworths changed completely, selling furniture and televisions. It was a wonderful store to visit before that happened.

People will still be able to buy films online. Last year out of interest, I looked up the cost of train fairs for two people to Blackpool, plus the cost of the hotel, plus additional cost for meals, and it came somewhere between £600 and £700, that is for arriving on a Thursday and leaving the following Tuesday. There is no guarantee that I could find a film I really want.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2018 04:56 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost anything Maplins sold could be bought far cheaper on the net. And in our local shop, if you couldn't express yourself technically, they made you feel unintelligent. Sad to see them go but it's about competing in a hostile world. I'd far rather support local shops but being retired brings restraints better serviced online. Films will always be available at the touch of a button, but in this instance, I see somewhat higher prices than what we have experienced over the last few years. For instance, trailers at $35 + $24 postage, plus possible import duty. I can't afford Maplin any more than I can afford some of the film sellers prices.

--------------------
Dave

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2018 05:07 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My experience of Maplins in their recently opened local store was not very impressive - I had a clear list of components and wiring I wanted to buy, just needed access to their catalogue in the shop and was told they didn't have any paper catalogues or electronic access for customers to their website instore, and it would be best for me to return home, identify the relevant parts on their website, and order them to store for collection in a few days.

I took some of their advice - returned home, identified the parts I wanted online.......and purchased elsewhere much cheaper than their prices.

Nice looking shop with keen although ultimately unable to help staff, but really not needed anymore as so many high street and shopping centre big name store brands are finding out.

Kevin

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 01, 2018 06:49 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree with you there Kevin, i just got back in from town, i went to the new and quite large maplins here to try and show a little support, i want a lead to plug the single mono phone plug to a twin phono on the stereo amp on the NT1, Maplins had one, The price, £29.99, i can get these on-line for a fiver. This is why the shops, (unfortunately), are collapsing. [Frown]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2018 07:02 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree with you there Robert. I ave been to Blackpool once, but it's a long drive for me and when you total up the cost it is prohibitive. As you say, even then there is no guarantee that you will find what you want.
I usually make the effort to go to Harpenden and sometimes to Ealing as they are in striking distance, but anything else is just too far for me these days.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2018 07:03 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Internet acces these days is a necessity rather than the luxury it was when I first got access. Many of the things you used to be able to just go out and buy are no longer available over the counter, and you have to go online. Also, the internet gives you the opportunity to compare prices. I used to buy a lot of supplements from Holland & Barrett, but there prices have shot up in the last few years; why pay £16 for something you can get online for £5, and probably post free as well.

I used to attend antiquarian book fairs twice a year for over 30 years, then for about 3 years running, I was finding nothing of interest. I got internet access, and you could find most titles in minutes, of books you had been trying to locate copies of for years.

David Fouracre
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2018 07:06 AM      Profile for David Fouracre   Email David Fouracre   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sad to lose Maplins but could foresee their demise, paticularly following the vast assortment of product coming from China. I admit to many purchases from the Chinese market online, following a superb backup service which I believe is backed by the Chinese Government. The cost of items including carriage, from their distributors (Banggood)is a fraction of UK retail prices.
However the main advantage with Maplin stores was to be able to brouse,and compare product on-site, and able to buy,difficult to obtain small component parts albeit at a higher price.
I have little doubt that the Chinese investment, has a lot to do
with the sad demise of Maplins.
When all our UK retailers have dissapeared, no doubt the imported prices will rise!

Mark Davies
Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2018 07:53 AM      Profile for Mark Davies   Email Mark Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been sometime since I visited my local Maplins, located about half a mile from my house, but I always found the store had good quality stuff and the staff good knowledge.

The thing about Maplins for me, would be that I didn't have to wait days for delivery, I could get up on a Sunday morning, start some crazy project and if I needed anything I could drive or walk there and pick it up, and with all the shops going on-line that will not be possible, that's what I will miss.

I am though in a fortunate position to live close to a shopping centre, but Maplins and PC World were really the only reasons I went.

Kind Regards Mark.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2018 08:18 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Likewise the immediacy of buying there and then would have been ideal for me too, but their inability to provide even a means of browsing the stock instore, using a paper catalogue or touch pad terminal (as with Argos) meant they lost the sale, about £70 so not hundreds but it all adds up.

Tom - that price for a fairly basic cable is extortionate I'm pleased you found a better value alternative.

Regarding buying imports from China or other places - the next time you go to Marks & Spencers (I'm occasionally dragged in there by my lovely missus) look at their high priced clothing and homeware goods and you will see 'made in China' on many of the labels ie: M&S are taking us for fools even more than the other brands.

Retailers will, one day, wake up to the fact it is 2018, not 1918 or even 1968, whether we like it or not face to face commercial goods selling is a dying trade.

A good example of sound business advice can be found in Hello Dolly, where Horace Vandergelder (Walter Matthau) explains the way to a successful business is to sell goods people need every day (ie: food, fuel and clothing) which is why the Supermarkets now rule the roost.

Kevin

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC