8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Terminology in the 21st Century

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Terminology in the 21st Century
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2018 05:54 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This morning on Facebook I saw a post of a home movie footage from 1940 of cadets from Texas A&M University. The poster refers to it as old "video" when it is obvious to a layman that it is film. It is hard for me to accept video and film as being the same thing.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 07, 2018 07:03 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not Guy [Smile]

You dont have to look far to see it either. On this very forum at the moment, they refer to a certain convention as being FILMED, when in actual fact it was shot on VIDEO [Big Grin] ...

Prehaps it sounds better [Roll Eyes] but it aint FILM [Big Grin] ..not in my book anyway [Wink]

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2018 03:22 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similarly, if people record something on the tv they still often say that they've taped it, whereas in most cases they've recorded onto a hard drive of some sort.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2018 03:44 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Companies used to advertise in the cine mags, like 'Movie Maker', and say 'Films for Sale', only to find they were selling VHS. That always annoyed me, as they appeared alongside the traditional film distributors. I've frequently seen old Standard 8 cameras being offered on Ebay as Video cameras.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2018 04:08 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also on ebay and utube I've seen it suggested that a cine projector on offer is a tape machine!

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2018 05:20 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, we've never sorted this out and doubt we ever will.

--------------------
Dave

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC