8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » You Don't Even Get The Film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You Don't Even Get The Film
Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2018 09:46 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.ebay.co .uk/itm/ORIGINAL-The-Shining-1980-16mm-Film-Reel-Box-Horror-Film-Movie-Prop-RARE-Old/192477822880?hash=item2cd0927fa0:g:T-IAAOSwaZdZvmHn
AUCTIONS LIKE THIS ARE PLAIN CRAZY YOU DONT EVERN GET A FILM HERE ,LETS ALL WRITE ON OUR OLD FILM CANS AND BOXES AND JUST MAYBE .

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 09, 2018 09:56 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unbelievable.
£239 for an empty fibre transit case to hold a 16mm feature.
Further proof that eBay has now got many sellers who obviously live in Cloud-Cuckoo-Land.

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2018 10:30 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a bad idea,some of the crap I've been sent recently it may as well been an empty box,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2018 10:56 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was posted back in November in the eBay oddities section and I commented that I would only buy it if the film was in the box!

Do they think Stanley wrote on the box? [Smile]

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2018 11:07 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It makes me wish Ebay would start pre-charging for sellers to list their items again rather than allowing for free listings - that would make the chancer sellers think twice before filling Ebay up with this sort of rubbish.

Kevin

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2018 11:11 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why, if it was used by the cameraman during shooting, it would be 16mm film. Surely all negatives and rushes then would have been 35mm.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2018 11:21 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few similar film boxes - these were used by film hire libraries to send and receive prints from hirers - just off to buy a black Sharpie pen and write the name of a classic movie on mine to create a bit of interest if auctioned - I'm only joking that sort of dishonesty is not for me at all but other than the scrawled film title on the box what is the real poof of the box origins?

Kevin

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2018 12:00 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes kevin was only joking too it is dishonest ,i doubt that box is the real thing ,madness

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 09, 2018 12:14 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I really want someone to bid on this, just to imagine they're shock when they get it in the mail, (subversive OSI here! [Smile] )

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 09, 2018 12:31 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Items like this (provided there is accompanying documentation), really belong under the Sotheby umbrella, if at all legit - Alas, working with choice cardboard cartons and some plastic, if these were signed by certain celebrated people or relatives thereof, then persuaded one might be - Otherwise, move on - Shorty

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 10, 2018 11:53 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get on, You know me, i hsve to ask this lunatic a question, here it is, i will let you know if i get a reply,

"Hello,
I need to ask you if this price is correct as all you are selling is a box that a copy of the film would have been supplied in, you may not realise this but this is not rare. If the movie was also in the box it would be, this is just a box, so my question is, is the price correct or is it meant to be $23.
I have been a film collector for 40 years and have never had the urge to buy an empty film box. I just need to be certain of the price before i bid.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2018 12:23 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So , Tom , he's accepting offers . Why don't you make an offer of 1 pound for it ? Upon checking out all his other items , it appears he believes ALL his stuff is " Props " , including black & white pics of screen stars .

Just another person trying to " cash in " on the film collector's hobby .
MEH !!

--------------------
Dave

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 10, 2018 12:37 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may win it and waste a pound [Big Grin]

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2018 12:39 PM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its not the first time its been on

--------------------
kinema king

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2018 12:40 PM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bit like this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-Feature-Film-MAN-IN-A-DINGHY/123007174427?hash=item1ca3cc871b:g:4xcAAOSwcLxYElFG
i just wish someone would buy it fed up of seeing it on ebay .

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2018 07:14 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell is going on here ? That asking price for a fibre film transit case !

If anyone buys this regardless who is claimed to have owned and where it is alluded to have came from are really in need of some help. I smell snake oil ! [Big Grin]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2018 12:45 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mum has a prop she uses it when hanging out the washing. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2018 08:47 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that this box is just an ordinary box.

The code the seller mentions is shorthand for a film print copy number.

Cy 41 written on the box means Copy number 41.

and also 36 in biro pen

It may have contained only reels 1-4 in the box and it was quite a common practice to send out an exhibition print in two small boxes here in the UK at one time.

Quite a common practice in the film exhibition industry.

Also it was a 16mm film print its hardly to do with the film production as it was filmed on 35mm film not 16mm.

However the box may have belonged to the guy anyway but I am sceptical as to the seller and even auctioneers claims as to its film production involvement.

The box size of 15 inches square for me confirms it is only an empty box that once held The Shining 16mm feature. Copy 41.
Reels 1-4 .

Just the right size to hold 4 x 1600' spools in cans.

So buyer beware !

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC