8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Scrapping Faded Prints (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Scrapping Faded Prints
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 04, 2018 03:18 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill [Smile]

I think we will have to agree to disagree over what to do with those films [Smile]

This thread must hold some kind of record, of folk expressing there views about this subject, without the need for Doug to come on and delete any of it. [Smile]

It makes life interesting.

Doug...regarding Pat "closet o' film" I have seen it. I will ask him next time if I can take a photo of his secret stash [Wink] ...its really something [Cool]

|  IP: Logged

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2018 04:39 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug.... not a CLOSET O FILM but a GARAGE O FILM!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 04, 2018 04:53 PM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, I laughed out loud when I saw your last post, something I rarely do! That was a good one!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 08, 2018 01:23 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well folks here is that picture of Pats vast secret stash of films.

However the photo was taken on condition that I did not use a flash or turn the lights on.. [Wink] [Smile]

Hope there is no Nitrate [Smile]
 -

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2018 01:34 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, that is truly funny!

Hey, here's another use for faded film: home theater decor. Display a reel or three on the wall in an artistic style. FULL of film.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 08, 2018 05:02 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would have to have a "VERY" understanding wife to do that one [Big Grin]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2018 06:14 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True! Probably more than understanding... a willing accomplice.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 11, 2018 11:51 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just had an interesting conversation over the phone with a long time film collector here in the UK.

He has many contacts so he is in the know.

He has informed me that many many more of us here are simply binning faded and VS prints.

Also less of us are buying overpriced 16mm / 8mm prints of shorts and features and buying the DVD or Blu-Ray for projection instead because of the price.

It seems as if film sales are going to take a nose dive soon due to this and also because many of the "old timers" of film collecting are passing away to that projection room in the sky.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 11, 2018 12:05 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes David i agree, ive said for a long time that film prices wont stay at stupid prices for too many years. It's also obvious that some collectors are taking advantage now as some of the titles i have seen long term collectors selling are films that most true collectors would hold onto. I'm sure there are some titles that will always fetch a tidy sum.
You only have to look a flea bay to see some of the idiots trying to list crap at high start prices and they are on there time after time with no bites. 400ft super 8 films, untested and starting at £50-£100
I myself have bought a tidy amount of 16mm in the last 12 months and have got some superb films in very good condition for normal prices. You really dont have to pay over the odds and i will no longer buy anything with fade, not now you see the quality of the blu-ray and digital projectors on offer [Wink]

As for this thread, it's been a good read, i fully understand both arguments of the throwing away of films. If they are beetroot red then yes. If there is a small degree of fade, (which is now so common), i also understand people still getting enjoyment from it, as VS, i hope never to encounter it. We only two b/w films on 16mm so i will be keeping a nose on these.
While binning items is always a shame i guess it takes them out of circulation. Again, for me, as far as 16 is concerned i am only collecting a small amount of films and i will do my utmost to stick with later Agfa or LPP prints only. We one or two TV shows with some fade and i will decide on what we will do with these later on in the year.
At the end of the day these are just movies, if someone wanted to pay me £2000 for my print of T2 or star wars would i turn it down?

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2018 04:41 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom i agree with you. If someone out there wants to offer me silly money like £2000 for any of my prints i will gladly accept their offer. They can have it gladly . [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC