8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Global Shipping Programme - negative reviews?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Global Shipping Programme - negative reviews?
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 16, 2018 12:00 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A well-known and respected USA ebay seller recently offered three beautiful-looking near mint LPP animated films, with fairy tale-type themes, each lasting about 17 mins. I'd have happily bid for them all but there was no way I'd pay Priority Mail of $60.90, if I won one. I asked the seller if he would ship via the GSP, as this would vastly reduce the cost, especially if I won all of them. He replied: "I’ve checked into GSP and found many negative reviews from sellers and buyers. I’m hesitant to use it."

I've only received one or two items via GSP (without problems) so I wondered if others have a similarly negative view of it? I certainly regretted the seller not being inclined to use it, as the films looked charming and the bids were low - one sold for only $13.50!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2018 12:48 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian,
I had the very same response from an eBay seller some time ago. Also a U.S. Seller. Truth be told, providing this service adds to the EBay service charges for the seller. The auctions offering this service are great for the winning bidder,
But there is a loss to the seller. Those sellers preferring not to offer the GSP have their reasons.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 16, 2018 04:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It now seems difficult to find an American eBay seller who does not offer the Global Shipping Program. I believe it is much easier for the seller to use the service.
Myself. I don't like it. The total amount payable by the buyer only becomes apparent after having clicked to buy. There is, of course, the knowledge that it will drop through your letter box with extra charge, even if it does come via France!

--------------------
Maurice

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2018 08:33 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the GSP is a great method of making sure your parcel makes it to said destination safely, but is totally overkill!
Having said that, I HARDLY EVER bid on GSP auctions for the very reason Adrian mentions.

First off, of the many many purchases I have made with ebay you can guarantee certain things with GSP:
1. Buyers and sellers both suffer overcharging on item(as Burton mentions above) and thus most likely using this service will cause many to turn the other way and walk.
2. GSP take WAY longer than normal shipping. For example, i once bought the same item from 2 different sellers, one GSP one without...The without came to the door SAFELY in less than 8 days from the US to Canada. The GSP took just shy of 3 weeks. It was safe as well but had visible signs of travel wear.
3. GSP costs more for seller, but it is a ridiculous scam because:
a)Shipping with tracking cover exact same processes as GSP, except for the 'potential'customs fee that GSP covers at the outset.
b)Customs hardly stops 'properly' marked parcels. If you are still marking things 'Gift' when they are not, it is dishonest and also will be checked and custom charged for certain.

Here is my trick for over 25 years of successful 100% feedback on ebay on 2 accounts. NEVER EVER buy off anyone without 100% feedback unless you know the person personally and can retrieve money that way.
Never use GSP, but make sure to mark and track package correctly. Make sure buyer has confirmed address, and ALWAYS use paypal via your credit card. This way ANY failed deliveries will be reimbursed, no question.
I hope this helps!

*PS: If you are a seller and messed up your feedback, START AGAIN. Establish your credentials again so can buy and sell with confidence!

PSS:there are still tons of sellers worldwide who refuse to use the GSP. I buy from them safely all the time!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 16, 2018 11:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that using this GSP makes the overall process take longer for the buyer as, let's face it, the more hands a parcel has to go thru, the longer it takes ...

... and I'm gettin older, and more impatient! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC