8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Gulliver's Travels (Dave Fleisher) Blu Ray?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gulliver's Travels (Dave Fleisher) Blu Ray?
Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2018 04:02 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Has anybody experienced this Blu Ray (Animated Re-mastered) ?

Thanks in advance

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 23, 2018 11:26 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes!

Steve Stanchfield, (of 'Thunderbean" fame, who I have known since the late 80's), an avid collector himself, was able to get ahold of original 35MM master elements for his HD telecine. It really looks great and I'm betting that it is the best that this film will ever look.

His other big project he is working on is releasing a bluray of "Hoppity Goes To Town" from a very good 35MM master!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Iman Yahya
Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2018 04:27 PM      Profile for Iman Yahya   Email Iman Yahya   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every Thunderbean blu-ray/DVD is worth owning if you love classic cartoons.

Just make sure you're ordering the 'Fleischer Classics' Thunderbean edition and not the other blu-ray out there. That edition looks like they not only upscaled a very poor DVD copy, but distorted the image through stretching and cropping! See below:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews44/gullivers_travels_blu-ray.htm

'Sizzle reel' for the Thunderbean blu-ray below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drq0GS5Dnt8

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 24, 2018 10:50 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Great to see you posting, Iman, and thanks for the link to that video advertising the film. The neat thing is that you don't just get Gulliver (alone outstanding in just how good it looks with the extra added plus that you are seeing the full 35MM frame!), but a nice score of extra cartoons also looking better than ever!

--------------------

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 01:28 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Osi, Iman, Thanks a lot for your comments and links...

Having a look at the links Iman put here, how to say, this "Days and Nights" in comparison with Super 8 Version..... Am I right ?

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 01:37 PM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only hope that HOPPITY on Blu Ray is going to have the same breathtaking colors as my most colorful Super-8-print...

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2018 03:07 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a classic animation fan through and through but the price of the Thunderbean DVDs and Blurays to the UK is putting me off buying - I found their Gulliver via Amazon.com but it still works out at £25 delivered - is there a UK or European stockist for Thunderbean that might make buying their excellent disks more affordable?

Kevin

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 26, 2018 11:22 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two low fade copies of "Hoppity" one is the L.P.P. Derann feature, the other one is an actual Agfa Red Fox print of the feature from a whole different print source and it's like night and day, (though the Red Fox print DOES suffer from some original lines here and there from the original print source) but the Red Fox is also the original run time for thwe feature, which has approximately 6 minutes near the beginning, which is not in the Derann print.

I would have to agree though, the Bluray has much better color and image than the super 8, even low fade copies of the super 8 of that title (Gulliver).

Still, there is film and there is digital, and I will always favor film! [Smile]

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2018 12:54 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pleased to have bought my first ever Thunderbean Bluray via Ebay UK for just over £5 delivered - this one is Classics from the Van Bueren Studios - looking forward to watching them on the video projector soon it will be interesting to see how good they look compared to a couple of the Van Bueren titles I already have on 16mm / Super 8.

Kevin

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 06, 2018 11:10 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Stanchfield did his absolute best to get the best source materials for these Van Buren shorts. In large part, he had access to the Blackhawk archives negatives.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC