8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Labyrinth on Film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Labyrinth on Film
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 27, 2018 01:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cant say I am a huge fan of this 1986 film, in fact after watching a bit on blu-ray I got bored then went on to watch something else.

However I have had a poorly stored and badly warped 35mm print sitting around, so I spent a bit of time making up the film for the platter. This print was so badly warped, through poor storage, that I thought its going to be hard to keep it in focus.

Wrong

The Ernemann 2 has always been a forgiving projector, and last night it again proved that. Instead of being bored like I was with the blu-ray, I really enjoyed watching the 35mm print, so much that I will watch it again soon. As far as focus the Ernemann held it very well indeed and no problems with the print paying out on the platter either, so it was very much a case of sit back enjoy the film and let the projector and platter do there thing.

A couple of quick screen shots from last night....
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2018 01:59 PM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing...!!!
What a print!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2018 03:12 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Polyester or acetate? That would affect how hard the warpage disturbs the film in the gate, wouldn't it?

At least it's in the low-fade era. Gorgeous photos!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 27, 2018 08:59 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill

Film stock is Eastman, Acetate [Smile] After all the work put into the projectors over the last few years, its great to be able to now get the benefit of the time spent on them. Its a pity everyone here is so far away, as anyone here, would be more than welcome to come round, sit back and watch some of these old films once again.
 -
 -
 -
 -

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 28, 2018 01:23 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you told us how badly warped that print was i would never have guessed there was anything wrong with it at all.looks great. [Big Grin]
As it happens, my Brother is in the Noth Island as from today, he visiting to see his Son get married in Auckland.

Jason Patnode
Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2018 04:05 AM      Profile for Jason Patnode   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Patnode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't look warped at all. Those screenshots look great Graham

I just watched the re-release of the Dark Crystal in theaters. I used to always double bill that with Labyrinth and was wishing I could see that projected too.

Glad to hear someone got to see it the way it was meant to be viewed:-)

--------------------
Jason Patnode

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 28, 2018 11:53 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever since I first saw her in this film (Jenniger Connelly) i so fell in love with her, and she has continued to keep her incredibly young looking appearance!

I like "The Dark Crystal" a lot more, though ...

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 28, 2018 10:58 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of credit to keeping warped film reasonable flat, must be down to those two parts. The film gate and the aperture plate... removed at the moment for cleaning. [Smile]
 -
Manufactured back in the 1920s
 -

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC