8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » PAl and NTSC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PAl and NTSC
James Smith
Junior

- posted April 16, 2018 04:00 AM      Profile for James Smith   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian's description of the two formats is correct. My system plays both formats fine, but I've discovered that when I project the images onto a large screen (without any Blu-ray upscaling), the PAL is always superior. In fact, I consider PAL to be an excellent 'middle-ground' between NTSC and Blu-Ray. And let's not forget that there are lots of movies that have been released overseas on PAL and not released here on NTSC. (Black Bart, Tap Roots, Dunkirk, Eve of St. Mark, I was Monty's Double, etc.)

--------------------
?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2018 08:14 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a Sony BDP S5200 all region player years ago. They're not very expensive...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2018 04:55 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not understand: what does PAL have to do with being midway between DVD and Bluray? DVD and BD are media, PAL is a TV standard: there both PAL DVDs and PAL BDs, as well as NTSC DVDs and NTSC BDs.
Anyway PAL is indeed superior to NTSC; it's got a lower frame rate but more lines of resolution.

--------------------
Maurizio

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2018 02:22 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to confuse matters the first BBC test colour transmissions in the 1950's were in 405 line/50 Field/sec NTSC.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2018 05:45 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why did they do a colour test transmission?; I don't remember reading about colour TVs in the UK until 1964.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2018 06:23 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With DVD material, NTSC line resolution is 525, PAL is 576, so arguable a slightly better image, all other factors being equal.

Blu-ray doesn't use NTSC or PAL and are generally mastered at 1080p 24Hz for movies (although there are obviously exceptions). Some are regionally coded but only to prevent playback in unauthorised distribution territories, and nothing at all to do with format, which remains the same.

Even when using an upscaling DVD player, or a Blu-ray player to upscale DVD to 1080i or 1080p, the more resolution there to begin with the better, so I think what James means is that a PAL DVD is better than an NTSC equivalent, although I'd say that neither even approaches Blu-ray quality as other factors, such as compression, limit DVD image quality.

The best upscaling DVD machine I own is a Toshiba XDE which does a good job of upscaling without too many nasty artifacts. Certainly, of all the NTSC DVD import discs I have, PAL discs do look better.

But Blu-ray is a different league altogether.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2018 09:13 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The test transmissions were before the move to 625 lines was confirmed. Only a few off-screen shots survive of these test transmissions. I remember seeing a competition for a colour set that had the phrase "Can be converted to 625 lines if necessary" in the advert.

The BBC Handbook for 1963, published in 1962 stated that 625 line PAL colour test transmissions were being made from the Crystal Palace transmitter from a studio in Lime Grove.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC