8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Malaria Summit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Malaria Summit
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 18, 2018 02:35 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was interested to see Bill Gates on TV recently talking about the Malaria Summit. He said that his organisation will be spending 1 billion US dollars until 2023. The UK will spend £500m over the next three years.

This was all a surprise to me as I thought that malaria had been conquered by now, but it appears that the mosquitos are very resilient and are not being entirely eradicated as yet.

This all reminds me a of 16mm Technicolor animated film in my collection made in 1943 by Walt Disney for Coordinator of Inter-American Affairs called "The Winged Scourge". It's the only film to feature the Seven Dwarfs outside their "Snow White" film.

I suppose it may now be somewhat rare, but you can see it on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y68F8YwLWdg

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 18, 2018 02:41 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to recall a few years ago somebody asked the question "Which animal causes the most human deaths?" and the answer was nothing like the lion or crocodile, it was the mosquito.

-so bad it's pushed other people all the way into second!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 19, 2018 03:16 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice- How about a super 8 color film in my collection, called "Seven Wise Dwarfs"?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 19, 2018 04:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that most of the 4 minute "7 Wise Dwarfs" consists of footage taken directly from the Snow White feature, although the latter portion uses some new animation and backgrounds.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 19, 2018 04:16 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this film but in black and white and with a French soundtrack. The YouTube comment says it was intended for South America ; my film was shown in Africa.

--------------------
Dominique

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2018 10:42 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May be I missed something but I didn't found the Youtube Entry source (DVD?)....

Here is a Disney's Treasures Chronological DVD List :

Disney's Treasures

This is in French Language, I assume same thing exist in English Language.

There are some very interesting comments on "Moth and the flame"(1938), my prefered Disney Short (which appears in Silly Symphonies Vol 2 which wasn't sold in Europe...).
Unfortunately, Derann did not had enough time to print it in Super 8, a treasure among treasures....
Anyway, DVD Vol 2 shows a very correct Video.
"Cross fingers" to get all of that in Blu ray, one day or an other...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 20, 2018 11:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of an eposide of some sci-fi series from the past, where a person is awoken from some form of cryogenic sleep in the future, in a world where all disease has been completely destroyed ...

... and then, he coughed. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC