8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Superman Two. Richard Donner cut

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Superman Two. Richard Donner cut
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 14, 2018 04:30 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i finally got around to viewing this cut of Superman two on DVD Sunday. Recommended by Rob Young and am very pleased he told me about it.
While the theatrical version is a good film, this Richard Donner cut really is a much better movie, and of course, is how it was intended to be and for me, the ending is a whole lot better, much less of the salute the flag crap in so many Hollywood films.
One of the main restorations is the deleted footage of Marlon Brando now put back in giving the opening a better explanation as well a other parts during the movie.
i'm probably one of the last people to see this restored version but either way, its a great release on disc. For just £3 you get this restored version and the theatrical release as well as a shed load of extras.
Thank you Rob Young [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2018 04:21 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom I finally got around to seeing my Blu-ray of the Donner cut a few weeks ago, and I agree the added Marlon Brando scenes are a revelation, it just gives the whole film a new sense of meaning and depth. It's the closest we'll ever get to seeing Superman II as Donner envisioned it!

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 15, 2018 12:47 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it at all Tom, just the theatrical version. I think Superman 2 was the best in the series.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 15, 2018 04:30 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do to Robert, by far.
Barry, the story line is definatly a 100% improvement.
The one thing i do really like about the theatrical version as we know it,(including the Derann release), is that opening with the music by Ken Thorn, it sets up the 2 x 600ft version perfectly.
I have read quite a bit regarding this new restored Richard Donner cut and looking back i think it was a mistake to replace this cut with the version released. Thank goodness for the DVD/Blu Ry release. [Wink]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 17, 2018 09:06 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you enjoyed it, Tom. [Smile]

I really like the clever way that Louise Lane persuades Clark to admit he is Superman, even if it was only filmed as a rehearsal. So much better than that ridiculous tripping into the fireplace nonsense.

And the huge sacrifice that Clark makes to become Superman again...the theatrical just skirts over that which never made sense.

Apparently sacking Richard Donner and not using the Brando footage was all about saving money.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 18, 2018 11:07 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree as well, the "Donner cut" is certainly better!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2018 11:30 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice that the studios saved cut footage of many films, so that they could be restored to the Director's original vision.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 19, 2018 03:01 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly took this version along time to come out. I think they should re-release the Donner version in the cinemas.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC