8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Selling old film stuff - need advice?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Selling old film stuff - need advice?
Luca Oliver
Junior

- posted May 16, 2018 07:32 AM      Profile for Luca Oliver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I used to work for a small film studio before it collapsed, losing me my job but also getting me a load of new and old mid-high end filming equipment (cameras, lenses, lightboxes, microphones etc). I've had the space to keep it for a while but because of a new job I will be moving across the country and downsizing (more expensive property). This means cutting down on possessions I don't really need, ie this recording gear, so I'll be selling this off. I was wondering if this would count as taxable income, as I paid very little for it and will more than likely make money from it? I've looked at this income calculator (https://www.income-tax.co.uk/ and I'm very close to the higher tax band with my current income, let alone the slight payrise the new job will bring. Can someone advise? Thanks [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2018 08:08 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you advertise pieces here or on Ebay, it wouldn't have anything to do with the Inland Revenue. Better to advertise it here with prices first, as Ebay take a cut of your selling price.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 16, 2018 11:11 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! Ebay takes ten percent right off the top, not to mention a little more in the shipping and handling as well.

No ten percent on here! Just potential "haggling"

Best wishes

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mark Davies
Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2018 02:33 PM      Profile for Mark Davies   Email Mark Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are a private seller and not taxable\Vatable..

Example.. I sell my car.. I don't pay tax or VAT..
I sell my TV.. I don't pay tax or VAT..

Now I sell 30 cars.. or 30 TVs and someone is coming looking for me.

There is an exception to this, is that if you sell a Van .. the Tax/VAT whatever is not paid at purchase, so you sell that on, you must pay the government some money or the buyer does and that goes with converting a Van to a Car. There may be a few other things along that line, but pretty sure, it's only Vans for some reason..

That is roughly my understanding..

So what are you selling?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC