8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Kodak Long Life Stock

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodak Long Life Stock
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2018 06:51 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came across an article in 'The New Scientist' for February, 1981, which mentions a filmstock introduced by Kodak in 1979 called Eastmancolor LF. The LF standing for long life. Kodak predicted that a noticeable loss of Cyan would not occur within 500 years if stored at low temperature. The 'New Scientist' commented 'Unfortunately no one can be sure that the accelerated aging tests conducted by Kodak will hold good in real time over hundreds of years. Kodak replied in answer to comments from Martin Scorsese about fading that they made several different types of Eastman stock and 'If film makers like Scorsese use the correct film for the job in hand, and store it as recommemded, a colour image can last thousands of years without any noticable fading'.

Eastmancolor LF flm was discontinued in 1982 after only 3 years, and another version, LFSP was discontinued in 1983. I wonder why?

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 18, 2018 11:05 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, either one of two reasons ...

1. Too expensive to manufacture for constant use.
2. Maybe they found that it was already fading! [Eek!]

... nd then, came L.P.P. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2018 12:32 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly too expensive Osi.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2018 02:42 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also it could be due to changes in development processes to higher temperatures etc meaning that LPP was easier/quicker to develop or even the introduction of T-grain. Though I am not sure when any changes were made, the 80's did involve more automation to many procedures.

[ May 19, 2018, 09:31 AM: Message edited by: Brian Fretwell ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 19, 2018 12:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I just heard of something that I don't recall hearing before ...

what is "T" grain?

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2018 05:18 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a way of increasing sensitivity with decreased grain size. I believe the photosensitive particles had a T shape with greater depth so that light would hit the side more for exposure but not be larger in diameter thus making the grain less noticeable.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 23, 2018 11:52 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

I was hoping to hear from someone who understood that! I'm bettin that the "T" grain film stock would have potentially had an almost 16MM look to super 8 ...

... but just imagine what that film stock would have looked like for 35MM or, (WOW) 70MM!!!

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2018 01:14 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your later Kodak stocks all used T-grain technology. Can anyone confirm this?

Think about the sharpest Super 8 reduction prints on low-fade stock. T-grain would explain some of that quality.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC