8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Can somebody identify a film, please?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can somebody identify a film, please?
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 18, 2018 05:15 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once saw a film on TV many many years ago,and never seen again, but it has stuck in my mind all this time and hope that somebody could identify it for me,please?

I do not know the title or who was in it. It would have been classed as a British New Wave film as it was shot in,most likely, the late 60's or early 70's and is one of these films that uses bog standard British locations such as a genuine semi-detached house instead of a studio ( a bit like Clockwise if that helps).

Anyway, the plot was something like this.....
Based in a British suburban semi-detached house and was the story of Mother and Father and two early 20's daughters. The mother was one of those manipulating control freak types who think they have a devine right to control all those around them. Is it known as "passive agressive"? She is not a violent person at all, just behaves as if her way / opinions are the only ones that matter. Daughter #1 is still at home.Downtrodden personality,no boyfriend, completely under her domineering Mother's thumb. Daughter #2 has obviously got a more head strong personality as she has escaped her Mother's clutches, is married with children,lives elsewhere, and the film is really about the conflict between daughter #2 and her mum as she refuses to conform to the control and manipulation. Because of this, Mother sees her as the horrible / nasty / problem child.
One classic scene is when #2 visits with her children. All is well at first, then #1 expresses her wish to do something, Mother puts the slammers on it which provokes #2 to react vocally, and Mother tries to manipulate her grand-children to her own defence by trying to make out what a horrible mummy they have because she is raising her voice. Of course, all hell then breaks loose.

Does it jog any memories? I would love to know what the film is called and who starred in it? Am I pushing it a little to hope it has ever been released on 8mm or 16mm ?

Thanks.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2018 03:25 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it wasn't for the semi detatched house it would sound similar to 'The Anniversary' 1968, with Bette Davis as the domineering mother. Sheila Hancock also featured.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2018 04:13 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allan, it is not that one, but thanks for responding. The Anniversary is described as a British black comedy.
The one I am referring to definitely wasn't. It was one of those serious films that concentrated on human relationships between conflicting personalities within a family....why they have evolved the way they have..... and how they have reached the present position.More a dialogue orientated film than one full of storyline.

Maybe one day it will reappear and I will be able to report it here..

--------------------

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2018 02:55 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the domineering mother played by Peggy Mount? She often took on that role, not just as a mother, but quite often as the wife of your worst dreams. [Big Grin]

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2018 05:23 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry - It wasn't Peggy Mount.Her character persona was usually loud, in your face, battle-axe. This mother had fair hair with a sort of Dot Cotton (from Eastenders) type of personality.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC