8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Stanford Theatre - Palo Alto, CA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Stanford Theatre - Palo Alto, CA
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 05, 2018 12:25 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been meaning to post some picks of this beautifully restored cinema just 15 miles from my home. It was originally opened in 1925 and still shows classic movies on 35mm film every Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

...and yes...If you go in for the 3:15 movie you can see a double feature.

http://stanfordtheatre.org/

At the evening shows you are entertained by an organist on the Wurlizer. They are showing Alfred Hitchcock movies now. My son and I went a couple weeks ago to see "Charade" and last week "North By Northwest."

-

-

Movie posters and photos room.
 -

Next weekend we're going to see Psycho [Smile]
 - [Cool]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 05, 2018 03:04 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stunning Janice [Cool]

Is the cinema well supported?

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2018 08:30 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks great! I wish there was someplace around here like that. Thanks for the photos Janice [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2018 11:27 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are quite fortunate here in the U.K. having a number of restored cinemas in operation, and others where although not being used as cinemas i.e. churches,community centres, and pubs, with restrictions and/or restoration to the fabric of all or some of the building. Much of this is due to the efforts of the Cinema Theatre Association getting the buildings Grade 1 or 2 listed. Ken Finch.

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2018 12:10 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a special place, looks like the theater is well cared for.
Very nice, thanks for sharing Janice.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 07, 2018 10:01 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a beautiful cinema Janice! The closest thing we have to that here in Orlando is the Enzian Cinema in Maitland. They have gone digital for most of their showings but still retain a 35mm projector for their classic film shows.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 07, 2018 12:37 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the Stanford Theatre is a local treasure. I feel a bit guilty that I worked in Palo Alto for 25 years just 5 minutes from the theatre and never knew about it.

Here are a few more pics. Last week we decided to sit in the balcony...it felt so luxurious.

-

-

-

--------------------
Janice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 11, 2018 07:24 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday we went to the matinee showing Hitchcock's Psycho. Normally there's no line to buy tickets and we just walk in...However this time the line extended down the block and around the corner. It was amazing to see young and old alike anxiously awaiting to see a 58 year old movie. The quality of the print was fantastic. So much fun to see it on the big screen again.

-

Looks like we'll have to make another visit to the Stanford Theatre next week. They are showing Singin' in the Rain. [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 13, 2018 10:46 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! What GREAT double features, and a lovely theater, to be sure! Thanks for sharing Janice! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 18, 2018 12:46 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night Darrin and I saw Singin' in the Rain at the Stanford Theatre. Turned out Darrin had never seen the entire movie. It was a real treat and again the quality of the 35mm print was fantastic. We sat in about the 7th row back... the closest we had sat in that theater and it was wonderful.

Before and after the movie the organist played several tunes from the movie. Here's a short video Darrin took with his phone.

https://youtu.be/Dvyt-A-WNkc

--------------------
Janice

Roger Shunk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2018 06:31 PM      Profile for Roger Shunk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are very fortunate Janice to have something like this in your own backyard. Beautiful theatre maybe you can sneak in the projection room and check it out!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 18, 2018 06:44 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful, Janice! Makes me want to pack up and move to the bay area! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 18, 2018 10:21 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham Ritchie said
quote:
Stunning Janice [Cool]

Is the cinema well supported?

Oh yes, the theatre is basically a vanity project for David Packard who has spent literally hundreds of millions of dollars on film preservation. He paid for both the Library of Congress and UCLA's state of the art film archive facilities, and now is actually restoring films through his very own Packard Humanities Institute. He has also spent millions of dollars buying up film collections over the years.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 19, 2018 12:32 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Dino...Thanks for all the info on the theater's sponsorship. It's pretty obvious it could not stay in business just from ticket and concession sales. Thank you David Packard!

@Roger...I would sure like to get a glimpse of the projection room. That would be something [Smile]

@Paul...Well if you ever visit the Bay Area...Let me know. It's a must see [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC