8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 15 Years of the 8mm Forum!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 15 Years of the 8mm Forum!
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 13, 2018 11:45 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
15 years ago this Forum recovered from a cataclysmic server crash and started all over again. This is the version of it you see today.

It's a historic tragedy, because the original 8mm Forum had posts from some of the people we still miss these days, including Derek Simmonds, and we will never see those posts again.

In the meantime, generally speaking a lot of good has been done here. Friendships have been made and a lot of help and advice has been offered. Even though CineSea is not an 8mm Forum exclusive-thing, the idea was first floated here and this is still the best place to find out about it.

When I came here, I was 41 years old and a newly re-born film collector (2002 was kind of a late date to be making the great leap to sound!). I lurked a while on the old forum, but joined the new version as soon as it was up. It's made a difference for me: gave me some place interesting to check out every day and made me a dear friend in the UK that I will always remember gratefully since his loss. It also gave me the chance to meet other film collectors out in the three dimensional world that will tell you we are extinct!

The baby that we had in the house that day I joined is looking at colleges and wants to learn how to drive! (There is nowhere to hide from the passage of time!)

This Forum is a welcoming place that only requires you come willing to be a decent citizen. It doesn't cost you anything, it doesn't ask you anything. It's just here for people of good will to enjoy.

-sounds like a good thing to me!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2018 11:58 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..this deserves a cake or something [Smile]
cake

... wayback machine shows the official the launch date as:

Dec 3 2001

https://web.archive.org/web/20010801000000*/http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/

but i found an earlier post on Dec 2 2001 by Paul McGrath and Chip Gelmini in on the thread!! Hey Chip, you have been here awhile matey!!:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020304210556/http://8mmforum.film-tech.co m:80/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000153.html

Happy BDay Forum!

[ June 15, 2018, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Mathew James ]

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 13, 2018 12:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's really cool, Matt!

-not as completely lost as I thought!

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 13, 2018 12:08 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way-back machine, those happier times - We'll celebrate by recognizing all of us and our mission to enjoy film and each other - I start by saluting Doug Meltzer, our helmsman and staunch supporter - I came along later, Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 13, 2018 12:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Congratulations to the 8mm forum!

Many congratulations to, of course, Douglas Meltzer and Brad Miller. Did you think you're forum would still be here and alive and well in 2018?

and thank you to the above mentioned, as you introduced me to so many great and wonderful collectors out there who have enriched my life in so many way, and not just in celluloid!

Best wishes! May there be many decades more!!!!!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 13, 2018 12:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-actually, Shorty. If you look in the Wayback Machine there is a 2001 era post from you looking for Castle shorts!

It's good to know there actually are some constants in life!

...Now where's OSI and Grizzly Adams?!!

I think it was 2000-2001 I dusted off my movie camera, bought some K40 cartridges and rejoined the 8mm world. I was a couple of times a year showing a collection of maybe 30 films on a wall before then. Hadn't bought anything new since the early 80s.

My films actually did have sound back then:

-sounded like a movie projector! [Wink] (Kodak Moviedeck 447)

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 13, 2018 12:52 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve...we are the 2003ers... [Razz]

I have been joining this forum and send my posts from various different countries:

2003 - 2006 Suva, Fiji
2006 - 2009 Jakarta, Indonesia
2009 - 2013 Toronto, Canada
2013 - 2016 Jakarta, Indonesia
2016 - now Nouméa, New Caledonia

[Wink]

Good to mention some (used to be) frequent posters that we knew are still around but now they are hardly heard (not because of getting kicked out or creating his own similar forum). I should mention:

- Mike Peckam
- Jan Bister
- Lance Alspaugh

who else?

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 13, 2018 01:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have posted from:

Russia (Hotel in Novosibirsk)
Germany (Kampingplatz in the Black Forest)
Mexico (Electronics factory in Tijuana)
Canada (Niagara Falls, Ontario)
USA (...duh!)

Once I got a smart phone I posted live from Saturday Night Show at CineSea, from a moving train and a moving car (never while driving!)

I snagged a really nice projector from "8mm Equipment for Sale/Trade" sitting at a table at an upstate New York diner. (-lunch was expensive that day!)

"SIR!! Would you like some more coffee?"

"HUH?!...MINT IN BOX!!"

-cellphones and Super-8: two technologies that were never supposed to overlap!

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 13, 2018 01:14 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the Castle reminder, Steve - Was actively after alot of the editions I now have (14 more to go) - You should have seen me at shows (especially with John Black), back in the 70's - Man, how I hounded those dealers till I got what I wanted! - Bazinga, Shorty

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 13, 2018 01:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be so sure Shorty!

-I was a teenager in the 70s

(Shudder!)

They have a cure for that now: traffic tickets, marriage and showing up for a job five days a week!

-then there's the Parenthood Booster Shot!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 13, 2018 03:19 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Steve

The forum has been a great place to meet people with similar interests, and although its not in person, its a great place to call in and have a chat in all kind of things.

The years certainly pass quickly and gets quicker as you get older...wish I had a time machine [Big Grin] anyway all the best everyone, and look forward to many more years "hopefully" of photos/videos and chat [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 14, 2018 11:33 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ought to look at my membership here, see when I first joined and what my no doubt first inane post was on here? [Roll Eyes]

Update! Wow! July 27th 2005! I didn't realize that it's been THAT long...

but that is what it's like when you enjoy something so much, the time just flies by! [Smile]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 14, 2018 12:05 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first post was helping someone who was interested in a particular movie camera (GAF ST/602, actually a Chinon: A great, great, camera!).

It happened to be the same model that I rounded up my part-time pay and bought as a 17 year old, so I spoke up!

I think I was more a filmmaker than a collector in those days, probably because I hadn't gotten sound yet. (It was kind of revolutionary!)

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 14, 2018 12:12 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Betcha I've been looking for that "Grizzly Adams" the whole danged time! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 14, 2018 03:55 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danke Schoen, Steve [Smile] - Shorty

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 14, 2018 05:22 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This forum is indeed a fantastic place for all amareur cine enthusiasts !

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC