8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » I'm At The Crossroads of Life's Journey - UPDATE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm At The Crossroads of Life's Journey - UPDATE
Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2018 07:00 AM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. While I have been inactive for quite some time I still occasionally read the current threads. Mom celebrated her 100th Birthday this past April. Sadly, last night I had Hospice here to start their services. Its especially difficult when there is no family left but I am thankful for the many blessings that we have received knowing that some things could be worse. I would really appreciate it if you would say a prayer for us. Also, if you wish feel free to send me a private message.

--------------------
Movie Lovers Do It in the Dark

|  IP: Logged

Greg Perry
Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2018 10:38 AM      Profile for Greg Perry   Email Greg Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe,

I was just thinking of you a week or so back as I came across the very nice "Ghost & Mrs. Muir" print you sold me last year. I am so sad to hear about this latest turn of your mother's health. I remember how you raised the issue of care and safety for her (and many others) during the past hurricane threat in South Carolina.

As hard as this stage of life is, I think you will find the hospice service to be of some comfort in this very difficult time...

Our prayers are with you and your mother. The loving care you have provided her is truly wonderful.

Kind Regards,
Greg

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 16, 2018 06:02 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Both you and your mother are in my thoughts and prayers.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 17, 2018 02:10 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
I can only echo what has been said by Greg and Doug so far. I think for your Mom to reach 100 is amazing and no doubt it is with the your care for her that has helped her reach such a milestone.
I hope that in such a powerful and rich country as yours, there must be someone/ some charity that is able to help you at this difficult time.
Tom.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 18, 2018 11:39 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only imagine all the stories she has in her lifetime and the way things once were.

You may have already thought of this, beiing a smart lad ("Lad"?), but if you haven't, and she's willing to do it, you might think of just sitting down with her and just making vid after vid of her talking about the way her world was throughout her years.

There was a lovely lady that was a part of my life all the way until she passed on. Her name was (and still is, to all that were blessed to know her), "Aunt Goldie" but her birth name was "Goldie Stark". She was born in 1892 and lived until 1990. I first met her when I was a very rebelious youth in Sunday school and she was already as of that time in her late 80's, but still being a teacher. She actually taught regular school from 1908 to 1966, (back then, they let you retire when you wanted to), first starting out in a western frontier "Soddy" school house in the west.

Well, I would go over to her house, (she lived on her own all the way until her last year), and have lunch with her and we'd just talk. One time, I got the idea to just sit down with an audio cassette deck and recorded her just talking about the "good Ole days" and for her, they were good. At a later date, when she was in the rest home, I did a 5 minute super 8 scope film with her, talking more about some of her past days as a teacher, (back then, I shot all my home movies in super 8 scope).

I had no idea that she would die a few weeks after I shot that film.

That film still maintains it's beautiful Kodachrome color and I still have the audio tape and I am so thankful that I did that as, everyone else has failing memories that just get dimmer with time.

But lovely Goldie will always be alive or me on film and audio cassette.

So, If you have a chance, you might think of doing that. It's just a suggestion.

Best wishes

OSI and Fam.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2018 10:42 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mom was awake and lucid early Friday afternoon the 15th. Then she fell asleep and over the weekend slipped into a coma and passed away this past Sunday evening the 17th. She was holding on because of me but that day I was on the phone renewing her registration which I did 2 years ago to have her body donated for medical research. Then I told her again that I loved her and she could let go. Told her I would be fine, and that I had plans in place. Then I told her that I would see her in Heaven one day. Went into the other room to print out the paperwork that must be done at the time of passing for them to utilize her body. Then I went back to check on her and she was gone. Two years ago we discussed this and she wanted to donate her body for science to help others. She had a difficult life but always helped others. Unfortunately there was no life insurance so I now have to file for Bankruptcy. Thinking about creating a GoFundMe for Donations in Memorium to help me get things settled as I am on Social Security Disability. With no family left I am going through a very difficult and painful time so please remember me in your prayers. I looked after Mom my entire lifetime of 60 years and these last few years were difficult caring for her at home but I wouldn't have had it any other way. She knew the end was near and I asked her if she was afraid. She said no and never shed a tear but I certainly have. She never complained for the most part and I am grateful to have had such a remarkable Mother.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 20, 2018 08:42 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very sorry to see that Joe,

My own Mom passed away a little over a year ago. The months that followed were really awful: I had to empty and sell my childhood home and in the end had to pay some guys $600 to come in and break up my Mom's piano because there was no other way of disposing of it and the new owners put it in the contract it had to be out before the closing.

My house was full of my parents' stuff for months and I still have more than I'd like to. It's just to properly honor their memory there are certain things I just will not put out to the curb. The trick is finding people that value it like my parents did.

There is this entire region of Nassau County I'm avoiding because I still can't look at my family's house with other people living in it.

In my mind I can walk around the house and still hear the way the stairs creaked or what a light switch sounded like. Even though I will never see it again, it's still home to me.

I wish there was something magical I could say to just make this all right for you, but it's a tough time and you have to fight your way through it.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2018 09:38 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A sad time, but be grateful that you had so many years together. It's only a temporary parting, as you know.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 20, 2018 11:10 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our prayers are with you, Joe. Best wishes from the bottom of our hearts.

Take care of yourself!

OSI and Fam

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 20, 2018 04:14 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

I'm so sorry. Please stay in touch with us here on the Forum.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 21, 2018 06:38 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, pm-ed you before - Always know parents stay with their children forever. Their Prayers are heard for us throughout our whole lives - God Bless, Shorty

Joe Balitzki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2018 06:38 PM      Profile for Joe Balitzki   Email Joe Balitzki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, yesterday was a busy day for me but a lot of loving things happened. I thought to myself that Mom may have had a hand in it and I believe that she did. Wouldn't surprise me in the least that she had a talk with God and some Angels.

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 22, 2018 09:02 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She's letting you know it's okay, have no fear - I know it's hard because we don't understand, we want to, yet we're afraid - Keep her close to your heart forever as she is doing for you - That's why your life's events go evenly and true - Spiritual help - Be well, Shorty

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 22, 2018 01:57 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its very hard, my dad died in March this year. I bought a film for him, sadly we never got chance to watch it. He used to enjoy the shows along with mum. Take care.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC