8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Digital Movie Theatres. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Digital Movie Theatres.
David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2018 07:34 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin i agree that it is all about the enjoyment of the movie that is of prime importance after all. I am not stating that such tiny movements spoil ones viewing pleasure.

However all i was pointing out is that "I" have yet to see a film that is " rock steady " when projected via 70mm / 35 mm etc.

I suppose i have had the luxury ( or cursed ) of having worked as a cinema projectionist for decades and had the time to conduct such viewing perceptions at distance X to see such image movements at such close up distances in a cinema.

I never needed to bolt my head or have my eyes permanently opened
by such nasty restraining devices in order to see that.

I laughed when i read this as it put me in mind of a scene from A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.

[Wink] [Wink] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2018 08:23 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very much a case of A Clockwork Orange was in my mind too David!

Even though you could still see some movement from even the best mechanical projection, when viewed from the majority audience perspective I'm sure most would not worry about it as long as the film was a good one and kept their attention.

I had similar experiences when setting up colour copiers and printing equipment, taking ages to get things right yet all calibrated way beyond the visual expectations of 99% of users.

Kevin.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2018 09:39 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh please,enough talking about image (un)steadiness.
My Shakeameccanica...I mean Cinemeccanica V8 sure didn't get its nickname by accident. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 20, 2018 10:16 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Nantawat we are only expressing our humble views [Wink]

Any chance of posting some photos of your projector? [Cool] [Smile]

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2018 09:06 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course. [Wink]

-

-

Bought dirt cheap a few years ago for my semi-hobby work (transferring some rare 35mm prints for my fellow collectors). Presumed to be decommissioned from some cinemas when they went digital,and about to head to dumpster if I didn't buy it. [Eek!] Probably NOT in the best in shape Vic8,but this is as far as I can get for now.

I had come to the conclusion that it's the worn out intermittent sprocket,film gate,and even the film gate's design itself that cause the unsteadiness. If everything is in perfect shape it would be just acceptable,otherwise it is then...as its nickname. [Embarrassed]

PS please pretend you didn't see the mess in the background. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 23, 2018 01:51 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nantawat...thanks for posting the photos, its always interesting to see what others get up to.

Just a thought, is to remove the Intermittent sprocket screw and carefully pull out the Intermittent sprocket itself, then turn it around and re-fit it, so what was once facing the outside, is now on the inside. Providing the previous owner has not already done that in the past, this will mean that the sprocket teeth will be pulling down the film where they are not worn.

Its simple enough to do, and it might just steady up the image a lot more [Smile]

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2018 10:10 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EXACTLY what I'm considering!

Better yet,I should stock some more NOS int.sprocket for years to come. Only if I can find some... [Roll Eyes]

(Tried Ebay before - got one used,and no response at all from another seller,duh.)

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 25, 2018 06:03 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is another example of a "Rock Steady Image" this time on Super 8 and in Scope, The only flicker here is due to lack of sync between the video camera and the projector shutter. Apart from that it looks great [Cool]

https://vimeo.com/195227404

[Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 01, 2018 04:07 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Nantawat have you fixed that intermittent yet? [Smile]

Regarding the critics of film projection out there, perhaps they should watch this on Digital [Big Grin]

https://youtu.be/4u5x5oaMkDQ

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 08:09 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite,but I though I had tamed her down to some "acceptable" level. [Wink]

The intermittent itself seems fine - purrs like a cat! But the int. sprocket itself&the gate seems not. Will do my best to tweak them out as much as possible. I might have some transfer sample on my YouTube channel. Will post the link if I find it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2018 10:02 AM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And now,for the sake of completeness...

First sample,scanned from "Scope" trailer. Seems steady enough.
https://youtu.be/p5BPps6jH_c

Another sample from "Flat" trailer,not quite steady. [Roll Eyes]
https://youtu.be/lJh0mmmJZlI

I later found that it might depends on each film stock/condition,too. Some would dance like crazy while others are quite stable. That really depends. [Wink]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 03, 2018 04:11 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good [Cool]

Did you turn the intermittent sprocket around?

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2018 08:24 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tried that,it quiets up noticeably. She really PURRS now,sweet! If this is the "closed" head type it would be impossible to tell whether she's running or not unless you're standing right next to it. [Big Grin]

But to my surprise - the picture (un)steadiness seems to be more or less the same. [Confused] Under a magnifying glass the "used " teeth side looks to be only slightly worn off,just barely noticeable. And the wear pattern seems very uniform in every teeth,indicating normal wear from use.

So I started to suspect that my Vic8 would be,by her nature,picky about the film condition she's running. Therefore there would be nothing much else I can do,just learn to live with that. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC