8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Update 8/15/2018 from Chip Gelmini PLEASE read

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Update 8/15/2018 from Chip Gelmini PLEASE read
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2018 11:37 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Previous posting are below.

Update August 15 2018

Dad passed at home local time 445pm with some of us here. For earlier information please read below. With thanks to all offering support. Much appreciated.

If I appear gone for a while my elderly Father is in his final weeks however long this takes who really knows. He has fought a tough battle with bile duct cancer and now it’s time to say goodbye. As I returned from Florida to help my parents, I had no idea this would be happening. And we add to this hearing loss, denture issues, Alzheimer’s and low level dementia.

Tonight he was brought by ambulance to the hospital because he could not breathe. As this condition progresses, lung, brain, or heart failure can signal what comes soon. We have watched him suffer, and we have suffered – in regards to my family – for the last year and a half. The trooper he is – this 90 year old heck of a kind man went through 19 of 25 radiation treatments before he was so sick we thought last August was the end.

The doctors said in August 2017 he’d probably last 6 months. They were wrong. As of tonight he’s still with us but the outlook is not good.

I will ask if all my friends here could run a movie for my Dad even though you never met or knew him as he bought me my first of many toy projectors, and introduced me to running movies at home. And it was he who took me to the drive in projection booth the night we went to the snack bar. Looking through the entrance door at those huge machines with those big reels spinning so fast – and how the projectionist could magically make one machine start just before the other machine shut down – would change my life forever. On this night I was between 6 to 8 years old. I’ve been in love ever since.

And a shout out to Bob Pucci who did visit my theater and did meet my Dad. I am so proud you had the chance to do that!

Hang in there I’ll be back soon

Kind regards

Chip Gelmini

[ August 15, 2018, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Chip Gelmini ]

|  IP: Logged

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2018 02:02 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Losing my father was one of the hardest things I've ever had to endure, my thoughts are with you, Chip.

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2018 02:03 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry to hear your hardship. It's tough when your parents are sick. I wish I had been there for my mom. You're a good son.

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2018 06:49 AM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chip

Sorry to here about your father.I am really pleased that I met him.Take care.

Bob

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 12, 2018 07:17 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip,

I'm very sorry to read about your Dad. Thank you for sharing those wonderful memories.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 12, 2018 11:52 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip ...

Best wishes concerning you're Father. Count yourself rich in that you have been able to be in his life.

I have not seen my dad since 1996 and though he writes every couple of months, he refuses to travel (and when my siblings and I have traveled to where he is, he is conveniently not there).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 12, 2018 12:40 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry to hear about this, Chip.

It's a difficult time.

Peace to you and your family.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 12, 2018 04:34 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry to hear of your sad news Chip. i am thinking of you during this difficult time.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 12, 2018 06:58 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing was worse for me to loose my mum so I know what you're feeling [Frown]

--------------------
Dominique

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2018 06:53 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update on my Dad

He is awake, very alert, wants to go home. We don’t really know what happened to him the other night to cause the trouble. He’s on some meds now which appears to be helping.

Thank you very much for your kind words. It’s great to have you as my friends.

It is indeed the illness that will take him from us. If the event of a few days ago was anything it is now down to a few weeks or months.

Chip G

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 17, 2018 04:49 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip, that's sweet news. A temporary reprieve is a blessing.

My parents' health is getting increasingly precarious, so we've been thinking about these things as a family recently.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2018 12:09 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update July 23 2018

My dad is doing ok through the events of today.

July 23, 2018 my Dad has turned 91

On this same day we mourn the loss of his wife my mom, Helen. @ 91.

But at least she no longer suffers.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 24, 2018 05:49 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You bet we'll be running films and thinking of you - Stay close and always pray - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 24, 2018 11:30 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have out thoughts and prayers, Chip!

How many years were they married? Though it has been only 13 years that I and my wife have been together, it doesn't seem like I existed before her. That's the beauty of marriage. [Smile]

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2018 02:42 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My folks were married 68 years.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 26, 2018 11:29 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!!!! What a great life together! Even with all the ups and downs that come in marriage (fights ... ect), there is a certain "gel" that keeps two people together like that.

Best wishes, as always. [Smile]

--------------------

Ali Hipperson
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2018 07:38 AM      Profile for Ali Hipperson   Email Ali Hipperson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chip - and sincere apologies for taking so long to add my sentiments for you and your family to this thread.

As my mum's main carer, I am currently going through something similar with my own mother who has been in hospital since the 21st of March this year. The doctors have now said there is nothing more that they can do for her and are recommending that later this week she is moved to a hospice-type facility for end-of-life palliative care.

Therefore I can totally empathise with what you are going through and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this very difficult and sad time.

My mother is a mere 'youngster' when it comes to your own father and departed mother - in that she is only 90! [Wink] [Smile]

God Bless,

Ali.

--------------------
We're going to need a bigger shelf!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC