8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Steamboat Willie Zoetrope

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Steamboat Willie Zoetrope
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 13, 2018 07:26 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Hallmark store today, I saw this beautiful ornament of Mickey Mouse as Steamboat Willie, which features a Zoetrope like animation. It is actually a circular strip of film mounted along the base of the rotating drum passing a pulsing light source inside the ornament. It is quite a large piece and really very well done. You push the knob at the base and the drum rotates producing the animation while playing the Steamboat Willie theme music. Appropriately it is all done in black and white. Anyway I just had to have it, albeit a rather expensive $34.95:

-

It will compliment the Hallmark Mickey playing a scene from The Band Concert, which is a similar piece, that I purchased a few years ago, but in that case it is a mirror Praxinoscope, where the illuminated animation frames are on the inside of the rotating drum, and you look at their reflection off the central rotating mirror drum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOgt0nXlpE4

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2018 10:49 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool! I have never seen anything like those.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC