8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » A question about A PASSAGE TO INDIA (1985)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A question about A PASSAGE TO INDIA (1985)
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 18, 2018 08:43 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm organising a screening of this in south London on 15 October, that will hopefully feature a 'reunion' of two or three people involved in the film. As there will be a Q&A afterwards, the audience will need a break, as the event will last well over three hours, considering the RT is two hours 44 mins.

I've been unable to find any evidence that the film was screened with an interval, so I wondered if anyone recalls ever seeing it - or projecting it - with an interval?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 20, 2018 10:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Adrian I was hoping someone else here could have helped, with a better memory than mine [Roll Eyes]

We did screen "A Passage To India" along with other 35mm prints back in 2011. The problem is I cant honestly remember if that one came with an Intermission. I suspect it did, as many films back in the early 1980s still had Intermissions, and am pretty sure that along with the other David Lean films we screened "A Passage To India" had it as well.

What format are you screening it in?

You could possibly check out its DVD release, say eg at a local video hire place and see if its got a Intermission on it and where.

Due to the running time of David Lean films I would certainly give people a break at some appropriate point. [Smile]

Would it be possible for you to upload some photos of the event?

Here is our we blast from the past [Smile]
 -

Robert Curtis
Junior

- posted July 21, 2018 09:40 AM      Profile for Robert Curtis   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Curtis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Adrian! As a former cinema projectionist, I confirm A Passage To India ran complete WITHOUT an interval (at least 35mm release prints did!).

One film which DID have an interval complete with play-in and play-out was Empire Of The Sun on 35mm (70mm prints did NOT have the interval) but I have been unable to find a 'complete' DVD or blu-ray anywhere to include the interval.

Good luck with your run of A Passage To India, I love all David Lean films - my favourite director! Now if anyone has the 3 x 400 SCOPE version of Doctor Zhivago for sale...! [Wink] [Smile]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 22, 2018 07:30 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert and Graham - Many thanks for your replies. Robert's recollection seems to confirm why I can't find the online references to an interval that can be found in relation to some lengthy films. This is something of a challenge, because I'd be hesitant to insert an interval where one never existed, but on the other hand I don't think we can reasonably expect the audience to attend an event that could last about 3 hrs 45 mins (including the Q&A) without one!

The format will be DCP, although we've shown three David Lean films on 35mm in the last three year. 'Passage' may not be available on 35mm, but we have good reason to make this a digital screening, as we will show two David Lean Foundation trustees the benefits gained from a project they funded, which enables us to wheel our digital projector into a much more central position.

I hope we will have some photos.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2018 11:14 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope your show goes well Adrian. I first bought this on Laserdisc and was blown away by the surround sound echo as they enter the caves. Absolutely great story. It really ought to be revived on one night showings in the Cinema.

--------------------
Dave

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC