8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Journey To The Center Of The Earth blu-ray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Journey To The Center Of The Earth blu-ray
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 29, 2018 02:39 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well folks another gem arrived in the post of late from amazon.uk.

Its been years since I have seen this movie, but to be honest have never thought much about the image quality always looked poor until this Blu-ray arrived.

Its simply stunning, taken from a 4K restoration, also an option of stereo PCM or 5:1 DTS-HD.

The Blu-ray is from "ERK" and really have done a terrific transfer, also included is a collectors booklet, plus many other extras. In the time I have had this Blu-ray projected on the Epson VP, I have watched it "three times" already, as it looks and sounds just great. Its a Blu-ray I would certainly highly recommend.
A couple of random screen shots [Cool]
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 30, 2018 11:21 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately Graham, now out of print in the USA.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2018 12:47 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stunning Graham, looks almost 3D, spectacular transfer when done correctly.....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 30, 2018 01:24 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You simply cannot deny how good today's digital projection is as such an affordable price for the movies.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 30, 2018 09:42 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I find is when watching film, I tend to sit as far back as possible, but watching a Blu-ray like this particular movie I tend to sit close to the screen.

The level of detail itself, within the image being projected is really amazing. I don't know how they manage to bring it out of an old movie, but its certainly great to watch [Cool]

Amazon.uk like the one in Spain have been really good to deal with, and with just standard post it takes about four weeks to arrive which is fine with me. It always pays to read the reviews first before you purchase a disk both on amazon and elsewhere.

Anyway here are a couple more from the other night...
 -
 -

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 31, 2018 09:43 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You simply cannot deny how good today's digital projection is as such an affordable price for the movies.
Yes, who would have thought 20 years ago that we would be getting this kind of quality on 10ft wide screens in our own homes, complete with multichannel surround sound! [Smile] But this in no way diminishes the special pleasure of film projection and the unique look and feel that it provides. In fact it compliments it.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2018 11:50 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'... it takes about four weeks to arrive...'

YIKES! [Eek!]

I feel spoiled living in the UK because I have had amazon deliveries as soon as a couple of days...

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 31, 2018 02:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an example with one disc that according to amazon.uk was dispatched on the 26th July arriving 10th Aug. What I think happens, is that, when it arrives in the country around that time at the mail center along with all the other stuff, it goes through X-ray and sniffer dogs for drugs etc. This is where I think the bottleneck is, as everything coming into the country has to be checked out.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 31, 2018 03:17 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, i agree with you 100%. Now here is a little something on the very subject of this film here shown.
I know Hugh Scott Thompson is a keen collector of reel cine on 16mm. Some of the titles he has on both 8 and 16mm always amazes me. What i didn't know was that he has a superb copy of this movie on 16mm, and to add to the thread i have asked his permission to show his screen shots that he shared with me.
Just to show that old classics like this are still alive and kicking on reel film just look at these,
I can only put 6 or 7 at a time up so these will do for a start,
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 01, 2018 03:46 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good Tom [Cool] I guess that's a pan and scan print? was it ever released in 16mm Scope? [Smile]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 01, 2018 11:26 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham, Hugh informs me, that it used to be on hire over here from FDA. The ‘scope version was released on 16mm, the only print he came across was on a Derann second hand 16mm listing, it was the last 1600’ and it was a red print.
Bere in mind with 8 and 16mm screenshots, these have to be done while the films projecting, and the cameras we all use, (most of us), dont do what you see on screen any justice at all. While with digital screenshots the image can be paused to get a perfect "click".
All in all, i thing Hugh has one hell of a rare 16mm print. [Wink]
Here is a few more images,
 -
 -
 -

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 01, 2018 05:29 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They look good [Smile]

I have never had much success in taking screen shots of film running through a projector. They always seem to come across worse than what the film actually is [Frown]

What I do look for with folks screen shots is "fade and scratches" as they do show up. I find if I take some actual video of a film print, that comes across ok, but getting those stills from a moving film is not easy [Smile]

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 08:19 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I see a stunning high definition restoration of an old film, the first thing I think of is that the original film (especially the original elements) always had the visual information needed for a stunning picture. It just needed to be revealed.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC