8mm Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Avoid this Ebayer (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Avoid this Ebayer
Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 09:38 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
projector35mm

He bid on two Super 8 cameras I had on eBay. Then only paid for one. eBay then had to force him to pay. He then contacted me to say both were faulty, when both had tested fine before sending. I had predicted there would be a problem like this as he was reluctant to pay- just knew he’d want a refund. I was right. What is even sadder is that he is a member of our forum. I have done the right thing and refunded him as I am a decent business person, but will be blocking him as I do not ever want to do business like this ever again.

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 11:17 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon
I'm sure we all appreciate being informed about these bad experiences, but we can't avoid them, as your post suggests, unless they are named. Perhaps you could add a link showing your eBay listing.
I would hope that you made him return the cameras before refunding?

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 01, 2018 11:22 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you have to watch ebay with this sort of thing, Luckily for me i sold an item that the customer wasn't too happy with, he did everything by the book and contacted me and i said as he wasn't happy id be willing to refund the item less postage. He agreed.
Before i knew it, ebay fully refunded him and sent him a note to say he didn't have to return the goods. I was peed off to say the least. I contacted the customer who also thought it odd, even thought i endorsed it, and fortunately sent it back to me.
I sent a scathing letter to ebay and got no reply at all.
Thankfully, this was a good guy. So far at present i only have one item on there which,for a second time, has been bid on and not yet paid.
It would be interesting to find out who Simon's buyer was. Especially as a forum member. That's not something that one collector should do to another [Frown]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 01, 2018 11:46 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom ...

Boy! You lucked out on that one!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 01, 2018 02:40 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did Osi, thankfully, the buyer was someone who i knew i could trust and had purchased before.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 01, 2018 02:43 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon
Were the cameras returned to you?
If so, what was their condition?
Were they faulty as described by the buyer?

--------------------
Maurice

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 02:49 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have refunded because, as Tom says, eBay would only do so if I didn’t. But if I had noted the name of the person, I’d have cancelled the order the minute it took the buyer ages to pay- only for the one camera.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 01, 2018 05:33 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon

What model of cameras were they?

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 08:40 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both B & H- a 1235 and 2146

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 01, 2018 11:44 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting Simon as of all the cameras I have tested of late the B/H 1230 still works well, in fact better than some other makes. The 1235 if I remember right is the model up from 1230....1235 is certainly a nice camera.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 02, 2018 11:46 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ebay ebay ebay ... (sigh) ...

Now I have found that when I relisted my items, ebay "magically" added a "or best offer" to my buy it now auctions, so I have to go in manually and get rid of that ...

sneaky lil ole ebay. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2018 02:08 PM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What makes it worse is that the ebayer is a forum member!

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2018 02:28 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes...to get a great bid on rare film only to be followed by, "I am mister so & so's friend, and unfortunately he has been rushed to hospital..."

And don't think that conventions are immune to dodgy folk either; sadly one of the reasons I gave up going. I really became tired of actually watching so called "dealers" buying up honestly described film for people to enjoy and then trying to sell them off as over-priced gems. Rogues.

Stick with the nice guys like Barry at Independent 8.

C'mon Simon, who is it?

This community is now so small that we need to look after each other.

Still plenty of lovely, decent folk still out there and amongst us that want to buy and trade and enjoy film and cine equipment honestly.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2018 04:33 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this guy and he is a forum member and I to have had problems he cant bid on my items as he is blocked

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2018 05:41 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aye c'mon man ! Who is the mannie ? Go on tell us so we can all have greater ebay protection when selling up stuff on there. [Wink] [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2018 02:31 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fao rob you dont know what youre missing not going to film fairs there are lots of bargains to be had of first class dealers ,where do you think the dealers buy there stock from if you want to be first in I wil give you first chance to buy of me a very collectable film collection with all the top of the shelf titles over 4 thousand features and as many shorts cartoons etc 80 projectiers plus spares lamp tape splicers take up spools this offer is to rob only get your money out I will also deliver them in one of my lorrys

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2018 04:50 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David
Hardly an answer to David Hardy's question is it! Why don't you man up and give the buyers name instead of promoting your sales.
Simon
What was the point of your post unless you provide this information. What are you afraid of? This forum is not a club of Masons. We should be looking out for each other. There are more than one member of this forum who should be named and shamed - not protected.

Clyde Miles
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2018 05:10 PM      Profile for Clyde Miles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mr robert tucker

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2018 06:19 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Clyde
That does not surprise me at all. I have in the past critisized this dealer and some others. Pity some of our members don't have the backbone to do likewise. In my opinion they are parasites who do not contribute or promote our hobby.
Let's start a thread of like dealers. That could be interesting.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2018 06:29 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought that everyone on the forum would have knew who it was

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2018 09:34 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't, but we do now!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 04, 2018 02:43 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't surprise me.
I had problems with him some six years ago when he was selling on eBay under the name kitchclarkie.

--------------------
Maurice

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2018 03:22 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's cleared up. We're such a well informed community here on the forum that it amazes me that folk think bad behaviour will go unnoticed.

David, thank you for your generous offer. Just to be clear, I went to several Blackpool conventions after you took over and have nothing but praise and admiration for yourself and the team of organisers for putting these together. It's great to meet people like Gary from Derann, another one of the good guys.

Likewise for the other conventions.

Unfortunately I experienced some activity which was rather disappointing.

BUT this was nothing at all to do with the excellent dealers in attendance.

Organising the conventions is a sterling effort for which I think all film collectors are truly grateful.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2018 04:25 AM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you for your kind words re blackpool this event will be the best yet with lots of surprises. Friday night film show will be the best yet with a superb film show plus a nice surprise before the show which has not to be missed .its also fantastic to see that I am now getting collecters from oversea travelling 1000s of miles like joe and mats which they will be well looked after by myself and my team of dedicated helpers my advice to everyone anyone who cant make this number1 event does not realy take this hobby serious as this is a collecters dream

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2018 04:35 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David is rightly strict in allowing nobody in early. We stop anyone who says “I’m just taking this film to Tom” we say they must wait until opening time. We also watch carefully for those who will not pay to get in, and try to sneak in. Quite rightly, David has banned one such person from attending because of that.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC