8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » You Have Money In Your PayPal Account

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: You Have Money In Your PayPal Account
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 02, 2018 11:47 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my new emails there was one from PayPal headed "You Have Money In Your Account", and then invited me to click to go to PayPal.
I knew I had no money in my account, but I didn't take up the suggestion to click.
I therefore went direct via a search engine to get to PayPal and entered it in my usual way.
Yes. As I thought. No money in my account.
Was this all a phishing exercise to get me to click on something possibly nasty?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2018 12:25 PM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,
In this case it is definitely a 'bait & switch' to get you to follow their pasted URL which is a redirect to a website they made to Phish out your login credentials.
However, in saying this, I can conform conclusively that Paypal DOES indeed send an email to you if you receive any monies, if you have it(default) to do so in the paypal settings.
I sold one of my musical instruments last week using paypal and got one telling me RIGHT IN THE EMAIL the amount I received. i am not saying that that tells us it is legit, because i am sure they will mimic this with a fake amount soon, but in my case it showed the amount in big BOLD numbers [Smile] ...
btw- in this real email i got, it says this:
"PayPal is committed to preventing fraudulent emails. Emails from PayPal will always contain your full name."
Here is some info from paypal on it: info from paypal on it
Good thing you didn't follow through...I bet if you hover over the link and right-click 'copy url' and paste it in notepad or something you will see it is a bogus link!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2018 03:48 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've received several phishing emails claiming to be from Paypal. These indicated that money had been taken from my account to pay for an item I did not purchase. It had a place to click to see the particulars of the transaction. I knew it was phoney and checked by logging directly into my account the normal way. No such transaction was listed. I forwarded the email to spoof@ paypal.com.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 02, 2018 04:13 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When this happens it is recommended you change your password to paypal. (or any account where this type of mail is sent).
I change mine every 12 months no matter what.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 03, 2018 11:42 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2018 05:58 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First I got a message from Paypal saying that someone sent me €10.00. It came with the message:
quote:
To complete this payment, you must accept or deny it within 30 days by clicking here .
I thought this was a scam so I ignored it. Then I got a message from someone that was all in German, the only word I recognized was PayPal, I ignored it.

Then I got the following message from the same person in bad English.
quote:
hello, the 10 euro have unfortunately been transferred from provided. Please send the money back. Thank you very much
So I went to my account, not by clicking through the email, and sure enough it was asking me to accept the money. Without thinking I just accepted it. Now I'm thinking if I return the money I will fall into the scam so I'm going to ignore it. Someone may be legitimately out of €10.00 but I'm not about to take any chances. I should have just denied the payment in the first place but I thought it may have been a refund for something my wife bought with my account, she does that.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 05, 2018 02:14 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan
It certainly sounds like a super scam. Someone has invested €10 in you, but may reap benefits if you reply.
Is there any indication in your PayPal account as to where/whom this payment has come from?

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 05, 2018 03:23 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should now get hold of paypal to involve them directly as money has passed through. Explain exactly what you said here and they should be able to see where the money has come in from.
At the end of the day, how could someone pay into your account without knowing the email address you use for payments in?
Dont forget to change the password you use right now, this may give you a little extra security.
Whenever there is suspicious activity on any account the first thing companies advise is to change your password in case hackers have got hold of it.

I'm starting to see now why my Brother never pays for anything on-line or does online banking. He only uses cash everywhere he goes, These days you dont need guys with masks and guns anymore to rob banks, hackers abroad and at home just take millions a year. Most go unreported as it's that common these days. So much for all the on-line security, firewalls virus checkers and all the other bollocks that goes with on-line payments and banking! Hardly a month goes by where we dont see that millions or thousands of customers have had all there details hacked in some company.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2018 06:51 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never click on emails of this sort. If I get one I check it out by going to the relevant website, whether it be PayPal, Banks or whatever. I would have thought that people would have wised up to these email scams by now. It has been highlighted enough.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2018 03:08 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With webmail I always hover the pointer over the link, it shows where it actually goes to not the shown URL. It is usually nothing like the address they have indicated, so I ignore and report it as spam.

Gregory Oliver
Junior

- posted August 08, 2018 01:58 PM      Profile for Gregory Oliver   Author's Homepage   Email Gregory Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always look at the sender's return address. It never is the name of the organization it claims to be. Usually just some poor sap that got his email service hacked. Delete!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 08, 2018 02:09 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got an e-mail stating that I owe a refund (from whom ?, for which reason ?) with an amount in dollars (a currency I seldom use). The e-mail says that the operation cannot be cleared autmatically and that I have to do something manually. There is a link for me to click on. Needless to say I ignored that e-mail.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC