8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Removing Filmguard (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Removing Filmguard
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2018 11:25 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Airline prints of optical features were coated in silicone polish to protect and ensure smooth running, as they ran in large cassette holders.

Many features that found their way onto the domestic super 8 scene were airline prints, so maybe that has something to do with it?

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 12, 2018 11:46 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure, Rob, I think I had the same occured with non airlines prints (a French company calles Les grands films cmassiques released severl interesting titles) but I will look more carefully in the future to see if that could be the explaination.

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 12, 2018 01:30 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ive always projected ours films immediately after cleaning, not been a problem yet [Wink]

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2018 03:38 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got it, thanks guys.
I have always used other cleaners of different brands, I always found them good, but no one has ever been very incisive, they cleaned well but not a lot.
We'll see how I'll find myself with Filmguard.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2018 11:03 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure how you remove Filmguard but on the old 2.22 you had to buy a tin of solvent to remove it.

I use my rewind arms or Spondon Long Play unit with ECCO cleaner between.

I would never use the projector for cleaning though, even use rewind arms now to save wear.

Can you still get Film Renew or Vitafilm cleaner?

Just to add films I treated with 2.22 back in the seventies are still silky smooth.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2018 07:19 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@ Brad Miller:

Since you are the developer of Film Guard, perhaps you can answer the question. If it did have to be done, can it be removed?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 13, 2018 08:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,

The first question is: why?

As has been noted on this thread it will evaporate off naturally given some time (a year or two), but please tell me what happened that makes you want to remove FilmGuard from a print so I can better understand the reasoning and your needs.

We can take it from there. Thanks.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC