8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Ebay ... Chancers.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ebay ... Chancers.
David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2018 03:39 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else every tried to sell something on ebay with the "Best Offer" option ?

Have you ever had anyone offer you silly low amounts as a an offer to your "Buy It Now" asking price ?

I recently have. I am asking £650 for a projector.

I have had offers as low as £200 - £350 so far which i declined.

I am not THAT desperate for the cash sale to let it go for that price.

So i had the cheek and sarcastically responded with a counter offer of £649.00 to one potential buyer who offered me £350.

These chancer's expected a reduction of £300 - £400 from my asking price.

Aye okay nice try but no cigar. I may be a Scotsman but i am no one's mug ! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

|  IP: Logged

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2018 08:18 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, you have my complete sympathy with this situation.

The recent changes to Ebay's structure is a perfect example of trying to fix something that just ain't broken!

There is a way around it,though. In your example, your starting price was £650. The way to do it now, is to put the starting price at, say, £690. There is a box on the screen called "allow offers." What you do is to put £649.99 in that box, and, theoretically, anyone offering less than that automatically gets a rejection message. That should safeguard you from the "something for nothing" brigade. Who knows, someone may make a bid at your asking price and the price will go up in your favour.

I use the word "theoretically" regarding the "allow offers" situation. I recently was selling a non film item for £75 with an "allow offers" price from £69.99 However, I still got offers of £50 so I suspect the system is not that efficient.

Be careful, though. I have noticed that on some screens there is different wording. One asks the minimum price you would consider (I.E. would notify you, so you have the choice to accept,reject or send a counter price). The other says what the minimum price would be that you would ACCEPT. Reading between the lines that tells me that the minimum offer would automatically be accepted without the nod from yourself, taking it more out of your control.

I hope this helps you.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2018 08:43 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin thanks for that advice. I will now do something about this.
I don't mind offers but within reason.
As you quite rightly state ... " the something for nothing brigade". A lot of time wasters. [Wink] [Smile]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 16, 2018 10:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful with eBay as they seem to keep changing their "rules".

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 16, 2018 11:14 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing that works well is, let's say you actually want approximately 550.00 dollars for a top of the line projector ...

Star the price off at 650.00 with a "buy it now". Then, let's say someone makes an offer of 450.00, you decline the offer, but come back with ... yep, you guessed it, 550.00!

That way, the buyer feels like they got a better deal than buying it right away, and you simply get what you were looking for, (well minus ebay fee, of course). [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2018 02:32 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers guys !

I have just followed Melvin's advice and adjusted my ebay settings.

[Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC