8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Cine in my blood

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cine in my blood
Keith Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2018 03:55 PM      Profile for Keith Wilson   Email Keith Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Grand dad was a projectionist and started work in the cinema in the silent days then early sound days, he died at work in a air raid. My Dad worked as a projectionist all his life in the local cinema where he met my Mum who worked there selling tickets and ice creams in the intervals, And I got the cine bug at 8 years old when I had a 8mm silent projector for Christmas present and have been keen on cine ever since . collecting 8mm / 9.5 / super 8, but mostly 16mm, Yet none of my 3 brothers and 4 sisters are a bit interested in cine . it must be in my blood

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2018 08:12 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, I'm the only one in my entire family who has been bitten by the film bug. They're very patient with me, and often enjoy viewing. But only my youngest daughter has a slight interest in how it all works. Hopefully when I'm gone she'll take over.

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 23, 2018 09:28 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith and Bill I was bitten by the film bug at around age 8 , when I saw an ad on the back of a Charlton Comic book that said if you sold some flower seeds you win prizes !! And the prize I wanted was a little silent 8mm " crank " film projector that handled 50 foot reels !It also came with three 50 foot silent Tom Mix Westerns !
Boy was I in heaven !
Thus began my almost 60 year stint as a film collector , projectionist and now motion - picture business owner .
Funny where " film " can lead a person .

--------------------
Dave

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 24, 2018 02:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had my first 9.5mm hand-turned projector at Christmas 1946. Cine is in my blood, probably because my grandfather had a magic lantern and showed the still picture he took, my mother had a Kodak 116 folding camera and whilst she had her films developed professionally, she printed them on "printing out" paper.
But, regrettably, it doesn't extend to my daughters who have no interest whatsoever. When I pass on they will probably have a grand clear-out.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC