8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » EU Halogen lamp ban

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: EU Halogen lamp ban
Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2018 06:29 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The newspaper today stated that halogen bulbs are to be phaes out from this weekend ie shops are not able to replace stocks.

BUT the quote later in the article is "The last phase bans NON-DIRECTIONAL halogen bulbs....." and that traditional incandescent ones were banned in 2009 and GU10 in 2016. This sounds as if low voltage reflector (directional) lamps as used in projectors may not be covered by this.

|  IP: Logged

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2018 09:53 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian i am getting really concerned by all this news. Are we going to find ourselves here in the UK and Europe where nearly all 8mm and 16mm machines will be in effect standing idle as no more than mere display pieces soon ?

I wonder if someone in the UK can do some kind of conversions to and alternative light source such as LEDs.

Mind you when the UK finally leaves the EU this may not apply.

[Eek!] [Frown]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2018 10:02 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't worry too much David even if the EU diktat is expanded to include halogen projector bulbs - alternative methods of illumination are the easiest area to adapt on any projector, as long as the mechanical side and electronics are running I'm sure LED / HID alternatives will be found for most machines.

There must be mountains of already produced projector Halogens out there too so time to stock up if needed (before greedy sellers hike the price!!!) maybe they will become cheaper I notice all our local Sainsbury's Halogen light bulbs down to 20p each this week as they want to get rid of them asap.

Kevin

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2018 10:15 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin i do hope that it will be the case that alternative light sources can be found. BLOODY E.U. !
[Big Grin]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2018 11:12 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just checked with one of the biggest lamp dealers in Italy: they know about the new EU REGULATIONS but clarified only non-special use lamps/bulbs are impacted by these regulations: EFR/EFP bulbs, being specialized use, are not affected. None the less I felt obliged to stock up a little... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Maurizio

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2018 11:21 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes most projector halogens are reflector which the article suggested were exempt from the ban. I stocked up, however, as the closing chain Maplin had Osram lamps 50% off the price.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC