8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » An outing for Vinyl. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: An outing for Vinyl.
Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2018 11:37 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been able to play any CDs for months, as it looks like the laser has gone on the player; about 10 years old and not often used. Today I am having an evening of vinyl, on a stereo I bought 47 years ago. No problems. Progress?

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 01, 2018 02:35 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert I find vinyl better to listen to these days, and around once a week I visit a second hand store that has thousands of records, its amazing what you find [Cool]

The other week picked up an old Tom Jones 45 from 1968 "Delilah", a big hit for him at the time. I remember hearing it lots on the radio at the time, and played it lots of times, had My My Delilah Why oh Why Delilah and so on going through my head all this week [Big Grin]

Those old vinyl recording sound to me just as I remember them before the CD age, another one I picked up at the same time was Mr Bojangles by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.....brilliant stuff [Cool]
 -
[Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 01, 2018 02:46 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vinyl has none of the harsh brittle sound that you can get with CD's. Being uncompressed, it is closer to the original analogue recording, and just seems a lot easier on the ear.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2018 03:30 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CDs shouldn't be compressed as they are 16 bit linear PCM only MP3 etc are compressed. In fact a lot of vinvyl was compresses to stop needle skip on loud transients.

Also I remember a pub band dedicating "Delilah" to O J Simpson around the time of his trial!!!!!

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2018 04:55 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer vinyl, Graham. I sold all my 50s rock'n'roll because I have no one to leave it to. Regrettable, but I used part of the money to buy a feature, and bought some of the same tracks on CD. I've kept all my other vinyl, comedy, classical, C&W. I'll be keeping all that; even Harry Lauder.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2018 04:58 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, not to start an analog vs. digital argument here, as I do a great deal in both sides of the audio world. But Paul, if you've found digital sound to be harsh, something's wrong. Early digital in the 1980s could be quite harsh, that's a given. But not these days. Mastering, playback equipment, and even source material can be all to blame.

However, back on topic: there is just nothing like putting vinyl on the platter and hearing something amazing. Hmmm, kinda reminds me of a different hobby, in the visual arena...!

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2018 11:22 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have Rock Around the Clock on 78 Shellac!!!!! I wonder when that will come back into fashion.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2018 01:31 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problems here with records! My 40-year-old Luxman 131 has had a new arm and a couple of cartridge upgrades over the years, but it still chugs along with impressive specs and sound. I have about 500 LPs to feed the beast. One of my 'good ones' is the original stereo LP release of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" with the Tokens; It still sounds rather marvelous.

-

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2018 03:16 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had that on Shellac as well Brian, along with Rockin' through the Rye.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 02, 2018 03:20 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You gotta love those glorious turntables! [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 02, 2018 04:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Claus [Cool]

I am glad we never threw out our old records years ago....but it did came close.

Here are a couple of photos I took of LP covers.. with a sort of film theme [Wink]
 -
….cant do that with Blu-rays.....
 -
 -

I watched an interview with Roger Moore years ago and when asked his favorite intro to his bond movies it was Paul McCartney and Wings to the 1973 film "Live and let Die"
 -

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2018 04:11 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a disco yesterday for a 50th birthday party all on vinyl,loved doing it and some there really appreciated the night being old school,sounded great on both decks and I really enjoyed doing it. I have also just bought the new Elvis LP on vinyl, Where No One Stands Alone, highly recommend it,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 03, 2018 06:45 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we are here, I have many experiences that inner tracks (last track before the label) does sound worse than outer tracks. Did you also hear the same?

How can we avoid this?

--------------------
Winbert

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2018 07:17 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Records (I don't like calling them vinyl) have been with me all of my 63 years. If you find anything in Phase 4 Stereo, buy it. They sound amazing!

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2018 03:05 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The inner tracks will no be as good due to the lower linear speed of the stylus cutting them. The undulations of the walls are closer together. A bit like using 18 fps for film sound rather than 24. I think that is why most singles were recorded at 45 rpm not 33 1/3.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2018 03:43 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I spent a small fortune on my Linn LP12 a couple of years ago - new speed board, motor and stylus (the beautiful Audio Technica OC9 Mk III).

I did hum and har about it, but so glad I did it now.

It still amuses me to see vinyl records (albeit very limited) in our local supermarket. [Smile]

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2018 08:24 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We should have a "Show your other analogue bits" thread. I'd love to see some hifi! I'm in the middle of rebuilding a Lenco GL75 turntable.

Simon Balderston
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2018 10:16 AM      Profile for Simon Balderston     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i had one of those years ago great for playing 78s

--------------------
kinema king

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 04, 2018 10:25 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A big resurgence of Vinyl LP records in the USA. I see them for sale everywhere now - even Cracker Barrel is selling them!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2018 10:10 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, your turntable looks like the same ones we have in the northern hemisphere, don't they spin the other direction down under? [Big Grin]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 04, 2018 10:59 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 05, 2018 11:01 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a thought just yesterday about this subject of our passion for ancient technology!

i had a Muppet LP way back in the day, of the muppets TV special, "The Frog Prince". well the original TV special was 50 minutes long, where the LP was 42 minutes and some seconds ...

... ut the NEAT thing about the LP is that it is in STEREO, where the TV special has always, in every re-issue of it, whether on VHS or DVD, has been MONO ...

So, i want to find an exceptional copy of the TV show, and then, where I put in the stereo LP audio on the TV special. True, there will be about 7 and a half minutes of mono left to the show, but it's really neat to hear these old shows in stereo!

Another really interesting cases of this is the animated TV special, "Santa and the Three Bears", which originally ran about 48 or so minutes, but they also released an LP of that TV special, which only runs about 35 or so minutes, but hearing that audio (especially the music) in stereo in High fidelity is really a treat, especially when it's a cherished memory from my past!

So, LP's have even more uses than we once thought! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 05, 2018 11:06 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I came across this record in a junk store and its still in good condition a while ago, I thought I might have some future use for it on a possible video upload.. [Roll Eyes] [Smile]
 -
….notice the date of 1957...
 -

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2018 01:23 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham, I still have this one and have used it on home videos!! Ken Finch. [Smile]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 11, 2018 12:07 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ken

That's great its amazing what is out there, and can be still used for video work [Smile]

I came across this LP last year and took a photo of its sleeve [Cool]
 -

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC