8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » John Lewis Stops DVD Players

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: John Lewis Stops DVD Players
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 23, 2018 11:02 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Lewis has announced that they will stop selling DVD players when current stock run out.
However, they will still sell Blu-ray players which will also play conventional DVDs.
The firm says that sale have dropped now that people view on-line from such places at Netflix.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2018 01:02 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was inevitable really. With more folk abandoning any sort of physical disc for on demand shows, and the existing market being attacked by 4K high definition discs, I expect to hear that dvd's will also be discontinued. The CEX high Street shops have thouands of dvd's that they can't shift even at 50p. I'm happy with blu-ray and won't be changing soon.

--------------------
Dave

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2018 01:03 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also I expect the profit margins on DVD players now is very low. A good reason to drop them from a department store.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 24, 2018 02:24 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you`ve been able to buy a great little cheap one for £15 odd for years. £30 a belter.

Lets hope Blu Ray 1080p keeps on going, I expect so as it does have a lively collector base now.

Personally there is no way at all I need more than that qaulity.

Can`t get my head round 4K TV`s either, never mind 8K.

My ex bought a Celcus 49" 1080p TV in Saisbaury`s on offer for £220, and the picture is simply stunning, and as bit filmie I``m a fuss pot on that front.

Best Mark.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2018 04:12 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just had an email from a seller of 8k TVs and states "The future has arrived. Samsung's 8K TV range is a game changer, doubling the number of pixels and upscaling 4K content, so you can enjoy an immersive experience like never before." Surely it should be quadruple the number of pixels unless the vertical resolution is the same as 4k?

Salesmen!!!!!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 28, 2018 10:10 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like all electronic stuff, what you buy today will be out of date or obsolete next year. Its all a con to keep people updating and upgrading. Our telly is a sharp LCD LED 37 inch full HD. To me it wont need replacing until it goes bang [Wink]

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2018 11:19 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom you are so right. How many new TVs have 3D? Many cinema digital projectors are 4K and some are beginning to upgrade to 8k but they have screen widths far in excess of 20f. What is the point of 8 or 16k on a mobile phone, tablet , computer screen or tv screen for home use. We have a 32inch TV and you can only slightly notice the difference between standard and high definition transmissions. It is more noticeable on larger screens but 4k and 8k!!! I(n any case, what 4k material is available for home use? Who is stealing the cinema hard drives or hacking into live theatre transmissions I wonder? kenen Finch.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC