8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » "Stand By Me" blu-ray

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Stand By Me" blu-ray
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 06, 2018 02:05 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few months ago I came across on old LP of this title in a second hand store. It got me thinking that its been a very long time since I watched the actual movie, so with along with another blu-ray ordered this one as well through amazon.

To be honest, I never thought a great deal about this film in the past, until I watched this 25th anniversary blu-ray edition last night.

There are some films that as we know, come and go with time and can seem a bit dated, but "Stand By Me" is not one of them, and holds up really well.

The story, the cast, the acting, the music is perfect and is so rare these days to come across, it really makes viewing it through a VP a real pleasure.

The quality of this anniversary release, both with picture and DTS 5:1 sound by Sony is excellent. Putting aside that it is a "R" rated film due to the language, its really an excellent film and as such would highly recommend this blu-ray release.

This morning I watched the exclusive 25 years later "Picture-in-Picture" commentary with Director Rob Reiner and actors Wil Wheton and Cory Feldman, which gives a fasinating insight to the film.
 -
 -

Hear is a link to "Stand By Me" by Ben E King,

https://youtu.be/pHa4pvspCqc

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 06, 2018 02:15 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-contains one of my favorite lines in any movie!

"What are you gonna do? You can't shoot us all..."

"No, Ace: Just you."

(-No wonder they let him pilot a Star Ship later!")

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 07, 2018 12:45 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a listen to the LP last night, the 1986 Atlantic recording is excellent and well worth looking out for.

Although I was more into The Beatles and The Monkees era. I did find myself foot tapping to this LP last night [Big Grin]
 -
 -
 -
[Smile]

PS Steve... Yvonne and me have been watching the re-runs of Star Trek the Next Generation lately on TV. I think its better than the original 60s series...
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 07, 2018 01:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some might say "SACRILEGE!!!" to that, Graham, but in a lot of respects I am inclined to agree!

-but by the same token the Original Series set the standard.

(Wow! The potential for off-topic here is just spectacular! -and YES: I started it!)

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 07, 2018 02:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, a great film, AND on that at least a print or two made it onto super 8 optical sound (I saw it listed once).

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 07, 2018 05:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand Patrick Stewart is returning to a new series of Star Trek. If its anything like "Next Generation" it should be good. [Smile]

Regarding the cast from the 60s series, I think the three movies they made that I liked the most, being "The Wrath Of Khan", "The Search For Spock" and "The Voyage Home" were very good. About a month ago I really enjoyed screening the Blu-ray of The Wrath Of Khan on the Panasonic VP It looked and sounded great. [Cool]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 08, 2018 11:59 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Patrick himself confirmed it at a convention recently!

It's suppsosed to showing an aging captain Picard, basically retired, but still having his hand in on the action. I look forward to it! [Smile]

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 08, 2018 01:44 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-and how about a well along in middle-age Wesley Crusher?

"Well! How's the boy genius doing today?"

"I can't find my keys again..."

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 08, 2018 02:34 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Enterprise myself, but that might be helped along by Jolene Blalock !!! to some degree too.

Best Mark.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 08, 2018 05:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seven of Nine!

Yes, of course: resistance is still futile...

-but in this case who really cares?

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 13, 2018 11:32 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How true, Steve, how very true!!! [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC