8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » CHC latest listings, questions from Phil (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CHC latest listings, questions from Phil
Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2019 09:25 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Repeating these here for those of you who do not receive the list.

"Hello and welcome to our March 2019 listings. Its been quiet so we need more customers please. I have been looking at the business, and really want to retire in a couple of years (not yet). So I am looking at how and when we sell. I am expecting two film collections into stock shortly, and I know that some titles will go very well, so here are my questions: Shall I put them on Ebay? Shall I just list and allow first come–first served? Shall I sell the select stuff only to regular customers who have bought from us within last 60 days? Shall I highlight the new stuff in colour on the list ? (NOT KEEN ON THE LAST ONE AS I WANT YOU TO LOOK THROUGH THE OLD TITLES TOO) Shall we open on Saturdays—we did this because we thought it helped you, but its our quietest day, and no one travels) Do we need to keep the shop?(expensive) Shall I trade from a Post Office Box Number, we would loose open days, sales etc."

I wonder what you here think. I would miss the open days as that's when I buy most from him.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2019 09:46 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe if they looked at better customer care then they would do better,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 01, 2019 09:52 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A would suggest a better promotion of new releases. For some unknown reason, they are not all listed and you need to ask for a separate catalogue. Prices of new releases are not always shown, neither.

--------------------
Dominique

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2019 10:20 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And new releases are now only printed to order, in batches, it seems.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 01, 2019 10:23 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Brian, how can you order if you don't know there is a new print available ?

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 01, 2019 10:27 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As i understand it, there website does list new items but due to the expense etc they print to order. I've had a few good items from CHC over the last few years including a stonking print of Hannie Caulder on 16mm.
Prices are also pretty reasonable, (as dealers in general),when compared to fleabay.
I think if i were phil i would probably close Saturdays and have my weekends as leisure time.

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2019 02:10 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW. where are all the repies to this. here is one of the last remaining UK dealers asking for collectors views and only a few respond.?????

Nigel Higgins
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2019 03:20 AM      Profile for Nigel Higgins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom.wouldnt saturdays be good for those that work in the week to have a chance to go to the shop . Also im not sure how this is going as he has so many diffrent ideas here .i havent brought from them for a long while as theres not been anything on there lists i wantand they dont change much some stuff has been there for years at same prices.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2019 03:47 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My complaint,although a minor one perhaps,is that he does not make lists of standard 8 shorts.I understand that std 8 sales are lower that super 8 ones,and he told me once that.Yet,he writes that "we have tons of standard 8 films,come and browse".Since it is not so easy for everyone to go,even on his open days,I would like to see a list.Yes,he did publish two or three lists of standard 8 features,sound and silent,and with very low prices. I don't know how well it went but I did find a most rare film I was looking for for years.Whatever his "faults" may be,he IS trying most than anyone else to keep the hobby alive,be it new releases,machines,magazine or whatever. I don't mind if he operates from his home,(provided that he has enough ware space to keep all his stuff!).May he be well and not retire soon!!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 02, 2019 05:19 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, i was thinking the same. They keep a magazine going and they also kept some new releases coming after Derann's demise.
In fact, i believe im right in saying that towards the end of Derann, CHC were releasing more titles than Derann were.

Nigel, i do agree with you 100% but the only reason i did say i'd close Saturdays is purely because Phil said it was very quite on Saturdays.
Alternatively Phil, close that shop and retire down here and open a new one, i can then come work for you and view every film before you list it [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2019 05:37 AM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would continue to sell on eBay. Best way to increase your regular 60 day customer base. You have a lot to sell so best start now. Enjoy your retirement. You will be missed by some.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 02, 2019 06:13 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil has always many interesting items at Blackpool. I guess the shop must be an Aladdin's cave.

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 02, 2019 06:19 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebay is fine but ideally you would need decent screenshots otherwise you not likely to get the max. Personally, i no longer buy from anyone on there without screenshots unless its very cheap and worth a gamble. With the amount of items Phil has it would take him forever [Wink]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 02, 2019 07:39 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My own experiences I will keep private but over the years I have helped that business with boxes of personally checked stock all good at very low cost to help them also delivering some distance free. End.

Back in the day I did a few good turns for Derek and he used to pop me a little something in the post. David over here was also similar when I would make the trip to do his advertising film fair photo God bless them. In fact I would put David and Derek in the category of professional business men.

The scene has changed a great deal now and we cling to the UK Blackpool event which is getting better and better. I urge all to attend this very social event.

I visited Derek Simmonds grave this week and popped some flowers on from this 8mm Forum remembering his enthusiasm for 8mm.

Always remember the good times folks

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2019 09:40 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Phil should shut on Saturdays - have a day of rest. If he wants he could do what Paul Foster used to do and open an online shop, for his older stock items that don't move and sell them at a slightly reduced rate - he might shift some more stock which would free up space for more lucrative items - just a thought. Also - are these posts going to be seen by Phil - or shall we post them at CHC ?

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 02, 2019 10:23 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was talk of a film fair on the east coast but never happened. I went over to look for venues but concluded most traders we in the north west.

Not sure where we're up to with the business sale since the for sale sign went up some time ago when I was 8mm filming over there. Anyway as always best wishes to anyone endorsing super 8 globally.

Call me old fashioned but when my custumers come over the door they are welcomed with drinks and cake. Dear Dave Guest wad the same it makes for a very healthy scene.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 02, 2019 11:01 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see the list with highlighted new entries, as well as the old - Stay well, Phil - Cheers - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 02, 2019 11:19 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had any problems with Phil's service! Always top notch!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2019 12:24 PM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a difficult one to answer because the product being sold is a niche commodity with a limited number of possible customers who, in many cases, are looking for specific items. I’d open the shop one Saturday monthly, first or last for continuity. Everything now is online and brings in a worldwide consumer, so, gradually shift to an online shop while maintaining local sales. Nearer the retirement date have a closing down shop sale but maintain online sales. Then, when desired have a great online sale. Sell what’s left at Blackpool at much reduced or make an offer price. There is one problem here. It will take time and effort to maintain both shop and online sales.

--------------------
Dave

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2019 12:43 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hope to get to see and meet Phil and the shop of goodies! Before he retires! That would be great!

David Watson
Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2019 12:51 PM      Profile for David Watson   Email David Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have purchased films new and second hand from Phil at CHC for many years and always been pleased with the films and with Phils customer service He's always been friendly and generous to me, but Phil will tell you himself he.s a blunt upfront sort who doesn't suffer fools gladly, who does?! and calls a spade a spade. I also tried to go to his open days when I can they are always enjoyable. I know Phil has put out a lot of money over the years to get new releases out and no he doesn't makes pots of money out of it,He's first a collector like us and a dealer second. I for one will be sorry to see his shop finish and only hope if he does, he keeps going with the internet and mail order. There's seem to be a few who knock him, but I hope he knows there's lot more who appreciate and like him, his efforts and his Classic Home Cinema Business.

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2019 06:03 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theres an important thing that is needed and is the option to pay by paypal worldwide and not only to the USA costumers. I know a lot of collectors in europe that are not comfortable giving the card number to a email server with zero security as the chc mail has been hacked a couple of time. The use of paypal will increase the sales from europe for sure.

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2019 06:59 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have made many purchases from Classic, all without issue. Phil has always answered emails without delay and is always exceptionally polite on the phone. Around 20 years ago, I lived near Phil so would often call in. I was always given a warm welcome.

I would list the new titles as normal and if not sold by a certain date (mentioned on the list) put them on ebay.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 04, 2019 07:36 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, on the site, there is a page with a selection of new releases but no details at all : no lenght, no price. Maybe a little more informations could increase the sales ?

--------------------
Dominique

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 04, 2019 09:02 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only known Phil for a couple of years, but I've always found both him and his wife to be a beacon of light for the film buff. It will be a sad day when he retires, but as none of us are getting any younger, I wish him all the best for when he does retire. Maybe a few guys from here should get together and buy the shop and its stock. I have only been to one of his open days, but what a fantastic weekend. You can't blame him for wanting to cut back on his work load, I also think that all Forum members, should get behind him and give him all the support we can. I am going over to his shop next week, and I'm sure a warm welcome and a brew will be waiting. Long live C.H.C.
Clive

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC