8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Help needed from the computer literate,please.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help needed from the computer literate,please.
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2019 06:24 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently, I have had all sorts of problems with my computer, resulting in replacing my original with, after one false start with a faulty machine, a second replacement.
My new laptop does not have a dvd writer/player built in, so I have invested in a new one as a plug in via USB as you do.
My intention is to transfer my library of personally recorded DVD-R discs onto the computer to create space on my shelves in my chronically overcrowded Man Cave.

My problem is, I have transferred a couple of discs. The sound on the first one is completely out of sync. by about a second. The second runs for a few moments. The sound carries on but the image suddenly speeds up, zaps through the item and before the finish, just freezes. The add on in question is made by a company called Beyawl.

My question is....am I overlooking something that I could do to rectify the situation, is the disc in some sort of decay mode, or have I just bought a piece of naff dvd equipment?

I would be so grateful for your assistance.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2019 03:50 PM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin can you talk me through your process of converting your dvds please, I may be able to help.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 24, 2019 04:09 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Melvin...

I have been converting my DVDs for years. I initially converted them to Divx files...but now I convert to .mp4 format. MP4's are excellent for streaming and the compression is very high quality. You can do all this for free using the programs I mention below.

If you are converting commercial DVDs you will first need to copy the disc to your hard drive using a "Ripper/Decrypter" program.

Download and install:

Ripper/Decrypter - DVDSmith Movie Backup
https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVDSmith-Movie-Backup

Next to convert the movie off the DVD folder on your hard drive to a .mp4 file download and install "Handbrake." Hand brake is pretty intuitive to use...but there are many tutorials on YouTube to help you get started.

Converter - Handbrake
https://handbrake.fr/

You can store you .mp4 files on your computer or an attached USB drive. I have all my movies on a NAS drive so I can access them from any computer or my cellphone. If you have a Google Chromecast dongle on your TV(s) you can stream movies to your TV. I still have a couple DVD players...but rarely use them.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 25, 2019 02:28 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good guidance above Melvin.

A minor bit of input. A few years ago now we started to back up our archive of Camcorder tapes used for work onto external Hard Drives also a handy way to move media around. In more recent times the footage we acquire is also archived from the cameras memory cards for possible future use. Likewise my own home recorded dvd's are gradually receiving the same treatment as and when I have the time.

All I add to the posts is buy a good quality USB 3 hard drive perhaps a Seagate who have been around a long time. I use these also for sending video work back and forth to clients and they have been very reliable. Good luck.

Gary Sayers
Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2019 06:39 AM      Profile for Gary Sayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the audio being out of sync, the solution for your ripping software is to go to 'settings', then 'advanced options'.

There you should have an 'audio problems' drop down menu, which gives the choice of 'Auto', 'Enhance' and 'Force'. Select 'Force' and the audio will now transfer in sync.

It may be slightly different on some ripping software but this is how it is on mine.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2019 01:07 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

I think what I need to do at the moment is take time out to try these methods out myself before I can pass comment on them. I will report back here as and when, but thank you again everyone. Now I have something to go on.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 25, 2019 02:29 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please feel free to ask any questions along the way Melvin.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC