8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Brings tears to your eyes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brings tears to your eyes
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2019 10:54 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch this 90yr old DDay survivor singing the song that he wrote and you have to wonder what he and fellows combatants think of the world today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOolfjkLoJw

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2019 12:48 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Proud, I hope, that we live in a free and democratic society thanks to them.

And hopefully know that most civilised folk give our utmost thanks to the brave souls who fought for us to live our free lives of today.

Never forget.

[ June 01, 2019, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 31, 2019 12:50 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was great Terry, I have not seen it before, thanks for posting it. I could express some opinions about how the world has changed since these people made the ultimate sacrifice for our generation, but this is probably not the place to do it.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2019 01:10 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You and me both Paul - and I dare say many others.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 31, 2019 02:46 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Terry

My father was in Burma during the war as part of the Indian Army, he never really spoke about it until in later years. He did say more died of disease than enemy action and "everyone" got malaria. For him and I am sure for many others, the transition back to civilian life was tough, he was somewhat bitter to those that had stayed home and had done very well out of the war.

My father was always full of praise for the Indian people and the American pilots who flew missions to keep them supplied.

I remember one of our film buffs out here, a great guy I should add who served during the war, telling me his granddaughter once asked him to speak at her school, he turned the request down, telling me they might not like to hear some of those stories of his own experience. Some of the things his own troops did were at odds with his own feelings towards the enemy.

There is one film I feel everyone should watch and that's "The Best Years of Our Lives" 1946.

My father like so many now, are no longer with us, I did go back to the UK 20 years ago to help sort through his stuff. One item he had kept all those years after the war, was his old army knife. I brought it back to NZ and its still with me.
 -

[ May 31, 2019, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: Graham Ritchie ]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2019 02:14 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the present visit of Donald Trump to the UK I thought this post was worth a 'bump'.
I bet that Trump would appreciate it and it certainly cements our long term special relationship with the USA when we fought shoulder to shoulder with their troops. Can't believe it had so few comments.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC