8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Cinema Paradiso

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cinema Paradiso
William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 17, 2019 03:57 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the USA. I am looking for a DVD or Blu-Ray of the original theatrical version of Cinema Paradiso that has an English dubbed soundtrack. I desperately want my spouse to see this film but he won't watch a foreign language film with English subtitles. I prefer the original theatrical release. It would also be good (not essential) if the disc is formatted for 16:9. Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2019 01:07 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello William.
I am afraid the version that circulated in the USA was the heavily abridged one (re-edited by the producer Cristaldi, according to rumors); the original Italian theatrical version lasted some 30 minutes longer. After the re-edit, it was awarded best foreign film and then re-issued in Italy too in the newer version. In fact I myself have never seen it in theatres; I once happened to watch the "full-length" edit on TV...
The shorter version (let's call it 'international') is somewhat more pleasant but the 'original' Tornatore's edit clarifies a few points in the story that are left as "gaping holes" in the international version. Good luck with your search anyway

--------------------
Maurizio

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted July 10, 2019 08:42 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might be best if William indicates whether he's referring to the shorter or longer version. Maurizio refers to the "original" as the longer cut, but in the UK it's easier to view the shorter cut as the original, as that's the one that was released first, and it was only later that the longer one got a brief release as an extended director's cut. When I saw it again a few years ago, it was the shorter cut as that would be considered the norm.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 10, 2019 08:46 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMO the shorter version is the best film.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2019 10:35 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Paul that the shortest version is the best version. To clarify, I am looking for the original U.S. theatrical release with English dubbed soundtrack. I believe it runs 124 minutes.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2019 09:26 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi William,
It’s your lucky day! Just act now!

https://www.amazon.com/Cinema-Paradiso-Blu-ray/dp/B0033PQUXA?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-027-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0033PQUXA&m =

Best,
Rick

Ps Maybe not! It’s original language, English Subtitled Good luck
Pps In fact all available BR versions for all available territories do not appear to have an English post dubbed soundtrack...

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2019 10:59 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William - Try this link -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cinema-Paradi so-DVD-Region-NTSC/dp/6305648522/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=0026359037627&qid=1563033526&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Definately English Dubbed.

EAN No.0026359037627

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2019 08:26 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone in this thread. You've been most helpful.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2019 09:11 PM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi William,

Well here is all the info on the DVD and BLU RAY versions you’ll ever need to know...

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=957

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=19243

This site was a godsend when I was putting together a home-brew SBS 3D version of Fri13th3D !

Best
Rick

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2019 09:16 PM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi William,

Well here is all the info on the DVD and BLU RAY versions you’ll ever need to know...

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=957

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=19243

This site was a godsend when I was putting together a home-brew SBS 3D version of Fri13th3D !

Best
Rick

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC