8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Forum Offline - What Happend ? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Forum Offline - What Happend ?
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 03:35 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not been able to access this site over the weekend and Monday. Suddenly it is back, thank goodness. Was the problem with me / UK / or worldwide?

Any comments please, Doug or Brad ?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 03:43 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As it seems there were no new posts over the weekend I would assume it was global.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 30, 2019 04:46 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had a server problem.

-the problem is without the Forum it was kind of hard to tell anyone about it!

I'm very glad to be here right now, the amount of content we would lose if this was fatal is just spectacular: everything from "Your Day in Pictures" to the photo essays after 19 CineSeas!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 05:03 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No server problem. It was due to a software upgrade for the forum. Will be interesting to see the benefits. Personally I hope that posting pics/photos will be easy now.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 30, 2019 08:19 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize that we were offline. I know that during this time I was experiencing "Forum withdrawal" symptoms.

Yes, there were (and still are) server issues. Basically, a band aid has been gently placed on the server to keep us going until we switch to a new server with new software. That process will take a bit of time as this also affects other Film-Tech sites. Brad and myself will keep you updated on the progress.

Thanks so much for coming back!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 09:33 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Brad and Doug for doing what you do to keep this going.

Life would be very different without it

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 09:40 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its good to know the 8MM Forum is up and running again!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 30, 2019 10:03 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to see the forum back on line! I had thought it would be down for a considerable period of time, and hit the link out of habit this morning - and what a pleasant surprise!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 30, 2019 10:06 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to delete the icon.

It was like a light switch in a blackout: I couldn't stop myself from clicking on it!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 30, 2019 10:51 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see the forum back !

--------------------
Dominique

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 30, 2019 11:05 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're ALL back - Shorty

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted July 30, 2019 11:35 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys! It was a lonely weekend without the Forum [Frown] So glad it's back. I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 30, 2019 11:57 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shows what a significant part of the day a visit to this forum is for many people. [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 12:45 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great to see the forum back on line.

Steve,

"We have had a server problem.

-the problem is without the Forum it was kind of hard to tell anyone about it!"

You are "in the know", then?

I didn't think you were a moderator?

Unless I am mistaken.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 30, 2019 12:53 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tremendous respect for the job Doug does as moderator, and glad HE is the one doing it!

Doug wanted help getting the word out, so he contacted me.

-So I was in the know because I stood informed.

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 01:04 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh.

Ok.

Hmm.

I also have nothing but the utmost respect for Brad and Doug in running this forum.

As I have personally expressed many times.

Also, I am very glad that "HE" in italics is in charge. Whatever ridiculous undertones that insinuates.

If I may, your post infers that you are very much a part of the orchestration of the forum. "We".

If I may be so bold, I'd rather that you were a contributor.

If I am wrong, then please allow an administrator to scold me.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 30, 2019 01:21 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Forum is a community, if somebody feels themselves a part of it (-aren't "we" called "members"?), isn't "we" the correct pronoun?

I was given a chance to help, so I did.

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 01:40 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, yes indeed you are right. Although, in the context of your comment, I felt as though a degree of ownership had been made over this forum.

My grief, if you'll permit me, is that we all contribute to this forum with experience and knowledge to help film fans like ourselves.

We've all gathered a lot of experience using film and as we know, sometimes there isn't a definitive way forward.

I'd like to think that we are all here to help each other, mistakes and all, without trying to find ownership.

That means, in essence that we are all part of this community, as you say, and as soon as someone insinuates owner ship, it doesn't bode well.

Steve, you agree that isn't your intention and that you are here to help, and I respect you as an engineer.

Here's to a happy super 8 forum. It is after all, only a hobby.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 30, 2019 01:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's reasonable to say we all had a server problem, even if nobody but Brad actually owns the server!

I'm glad to say It's NOT my server: I've bought six tires this month! (-two cars!)

I don't need a server: I have enough troubles of my own!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 30, 2019 02:00 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so glad we're up again...I really missed this part of moderating.

Rob, I took Steve's use of the personal pronoun "we" to include himself along with every member of this Forum. "Our" Forum had a server problem... "We" had a server problem. Same thing to me.

While we were offline, I did not have access to the email database so I sent out notifications to those members I had recently exchanged emails with. I asked Steve for his assistance and I also asked Terry Sills in the UK to help spread the news around.

I'm very glad both of you are part of the "we" that makes up the 8mm Forum.

Doug

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 02:04 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All right, peace.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 30, 2019 02:10 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob,

Thank you. By the time I finish writing a post, three more have been added!

Doug

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 30, 2019 02:21 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see it back [Smile] ….expecting snow today yuk, not like the heatwave up there in the Northern hemisphere [Wink] [Smile]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2019 02:22 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve and Doug, it's a hobby guys, sorry for getting so wound up!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 30, 2019 02:56 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... until we switch to a new server with new software ...
Perhaps Brad and Doug could explain what differences may be seen when the new work has been completed.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC