8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Actual technicolor print?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Actual technicolor print?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 12, 2019 11:38 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I don't know much about this side of things, but this auction made me quite curious ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8mm-Home-Movie-San-Fernando-Valley-Kindergarten-Nursery-School-Graduation-1963/254296161553?hash=item3b353b7d11:g:UTQAAOSwgS9dKn8v

Is this an actual technicolor home movie film, or is just processed by the technicolor company, but just not actual technicolor?

... and then, a second question comes to mind ...

If this IS technicolor, would this either equal or be better than Kodachrome?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2019 12:22 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like someone's home movie? As you know all home movies still look good ! And the color still holds up! I wish all super 8 prints would do that!

Ed Gordon
Junior

- posted August 12, 2019 12:37 PM      Profile for Ed Gordon   Email Ed Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked for Technicolor back in the late 60's. The cardboard box in the photo indicates that processing was done by Technicolor using standard processing procedures for Kodak film.

The quality of home movies on Reversal film would of course be better than a print. I don't know why Reversal film does not seem to suffer the same problems (fading, color loss) that so many prints do.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 12, 2019 02:36 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, do we assume it's actually Kodachrome?

--------------------
Maurice

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2019 02:44 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 12, 2019 02:59 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an interesting item which states that the Technicolor Super 8 projector actually used Kodachrome !!!
https://obsoletemedia.org/technicolor-magi-cartridge/

--------------------
Maurice

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2019 03:03 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good to know!

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2019 04:14 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to check the educational cartridges I got from LPG with A Technicolor projector.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2019 04:17 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let us know!

Ed Gordon
Junior

- posted August 12, 2019 04:18 PM      Profile for Ed Gordon   Email Ed Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it would be Kodachrome (25' double 8mm).

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 12, 2019 04:20 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be!

Ed Gordon
Junior

- posted August 12, 2019 04:57 PM      Profile for Ed Gordon   Email Ed Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I say that it would be Kodak film, is that the Technicolor shop I worked in only did Kodak Double 8, Super 8, 16mm, and 35mm. One of my responsibilities was to make the developing solutions for the large machine in which the four film types I mentioned were processed (simultaneously). What I can not say however, is whether or not the Kodak formula for processing Reversal film would work with film from other manufacturers.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2019 02:57 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The loop I checked "The Anatomy of the Frog" was bright pink so though Kodak (edge Marked Kodak 215) obviously not Kodachrome. This was a Dank Film Library print so of UK origin.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 13, 2019 12:25 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that the film in question is 1963, if you take Ed's information plus what's pictured, I'm certain without a doubt it's double-standard 8 Kodachrome. Everything else would be eliminated.

The reason the dyes don't fade is because of the remarkable chemistry of Kodachrome: the color dyes were added in processing, combining with couplers in the chemistry of the emulsion. So those additive dyes are more color-stable than the all-in-one dye incorporated emulsions such as Eastmancolor or even Ektachrome. That stability is something that Kodachrome and Technicolor share in common Z(albeit for differing reasons, of course).

Another relevant bit of information is that genuine dye-transfer Technicolor film was only ever manufactured on 35mm equipment. So all 16mm IB Tech was printed on 35mm stock and slit and punched after-the-fact. That is why there are no unfaded 70mm prints from the pre-LPP era, and why those Technicolor cartridges were actually loaded with Kodak stocks. (Nobody's ever been able to come up with an example of 8mm IB Tech, which is possible in theory but never been shown in fact.)

Interesting that Technicolor ventured into consumer products. Never saw it personally, though, as a youngster since it wasn't available in our geographical area.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 14, 2019 11:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... which is why when you find an actual Kodachrome feature film on super 8, it still looks breathtaking! There were some Kodachrome super 8 feature films done in Italy, "Bambi" being one of them). I've seen screenshots and it really looks incredible.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC