8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Converting a manual from German to English

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Converting a manual from German to English
Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2019 05:23 PM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a bauer T510 and the manual is in German.Is there anyway you can download it and convert it into English since I can't find one in English.Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 11, 2019 06:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can get access to a pretty recent scanner, some of them can scan printed matter and convert it to text.

-now of course the text is still in German and the software may stumble on German special characters (ß,ä,ö,ü), but it's a step closer!

After that you can copy and paste into an online translator: they are actually pretty decent these days.

-and if you are intrepid, you can just type it in yourself! I use Google translate and it lets you substitute "ss" for "ß" and typing "a,o,u" works in place of "ä,ö,ü" at least most of the time. (For example: "schön" and "schon" are not the same word.)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2019 11:43 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Google translate app on my phone all the time. It's free. There is a camera button in the app and just press the button and it will scam the text. It's not perfect but pretty darn close.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 12, 2019 12:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting!

I've never tried the phone app!

The "Universal Translator" was just some funky idea the Star Trek Folk came up with to explain why everybody in the Universe cold speak English, but in our own time we're edging closer and closer.

(-and they invented the Transporter because ship-based away missions were more expensive to film. Who knows what great technologies we will have someday because Gene Roddenberry had a budget to keep!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 12, 2019 01:07 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There used to be another on-line translator named after the Babelfish which was in the Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. It was a fish galactic hitch hikers put in their ears to translate for them.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC