8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Optical Track

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Optical Track
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 03, 2007 09:15 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondered if anyone has a picture of how the optical sound track looks on a 9.5mm sound film. I take it that it's not the same width as say a 16mm optical track.
Was there only optical or did Pathe etc try magnetic sound?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2007 09:49 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive never heard of any Mag sound films, released by pathescope or another company, and I'm also a member of Group 9.5.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 03, 2007 09:59 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,
Pathe did in fact produce a magnetic sound projector for adding sound to home movies. As you say though, I am pretty sure they never printed 9.5mm sound films with added magnetic tracks, just optical. Pathe launched 9.5mm magnetic sound in 1951 with the Pathe Marignan projector.

-

This is the Pathe PM 9.5 MM MAG/OPTICAL projector. You can find a description of all 9.5mm equipment on Grahame Newnham's wonderful 9.5mm web site:
http://www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/95ninefive.htm

Kev,
Here are Pathescope's specifications for the dimensions of 9.5mm optical track and picture area:

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 03, 2007 10:29 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Just found a Mag sound release halfway down this list:

http://www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/filmlista.htm

Because of the soundtrack you certainly end up with a square looking picture

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2007 08:37 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It certainly is square Kev,the projectors have a wee sliding door that masks the sound track.When using silent film you retract this gadget to show the full frame. [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 04, 2007 05:13 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating stuff where this small gauge is concerned [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 08, 2007 09:49 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phew!
Just got back from Video Forum at Earls Court and catching up with 8mm Forum. Funny old Forum world..

I have a Pathescope Gem 9-5 projector with the Pathescope sound base. (Aurator). This enables you to record and play back magnetic sound. Good idea, but not on a Gem with poor speed control.

Martyn Stevens
Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2007 01:56 PM      Profile for Martyn Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Martyn Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am slowly assembling a table of data about various film gauges. There is the issue here of both imperial and metric measures being used here, often at the same time. The soundtrack on 9.5 is 0.7mm. on 35mm it is 0.1". Interestingly, the Pathe 17.5 gauge made much of having a soundtrack the same size as 35mm. On 9.5, the picture does get a bit square because of the soundtrack, but many of the French 9.5 releases used masking to restore the shape to nearer Academy.
If anyone has a copy of the 16mm film standard, with at least the etail of the 9.5 version, I would be most grateful.

Martyn Stevens

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC