8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Projector recomendations please (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projector recomendations please
Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 05:12 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is a good recommendation for an entry-level 9.5mm machine? I am not worried about sound playback as I intend to collect vintage comedy on 9.5.

Can anyone tell me how much early comedy is available on 9.5, e.g. Keystone cops, Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy, Harold Lloyd…….

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 04, 2007 02:02 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig, I believe a good specto silent 9.5mm only version with upgraded halogen lighting can be had for around £70-£100 and is a good starter machine and I believe kind to the film. Quite a few are iffy with film I believe.
Graham Newman may have soemthing decent and affordable. I once nearly got in to 9,5 but had a brush with some very warped and dry twisted film so stuck with 8, but thats just because they were not looked after really.
I have seen some chaplin projected on 9.5 and it was absolutely stunning.
Best Mark.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2007 04:17 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig,the Europ is a nice machine.It uses a 50w 8v bulb(Marilyn Monroe bulb). It has 900ft capacity and a good Berthiot lens.Rewind is a bit pathetic [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 04, 2007 05:28 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor, I have never heard of the 8V 50W lamp being called that before. It really made me laugh and is a brilliant description. [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 04, 2007 07:20 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to laugh at Trev's description as well Kev. I have heard it called the 'Robby the Robot' lamp after the TV series, but perhaps Trev's description is the best. Was there ever a 12v 100watt 'Jayne Mansfield' lamp? [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2007 04:01 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't take credit for the MM bulb chaps [Smile] It has been thus named for decades here in NZ.Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2007 04:40 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here she is;

-

With a twinkle in her eye [Wink] .

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted February 05, 2007 04:46 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get those CUUUUUURRRVVVVEEESSSSS.

Best Mark.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2007 12:16 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking along the lines of a nice little hand-cranked machine. Lots of Betty Boop cartoons & Mickey Mouse to view if you keep an eye on ebay. Not forgetting Steve the Horse, I am so tempted to buy the Steve the horse DVD for my other projector, you know, the horrible ugly lifeless silver plastic box with its big Cyclops eye that plugs into your DVD player projector.

Looks like the BFCC will see me bargain hunting for some 9.5.

Craig

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 05, 2007 12:48 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig,
The hand cranked 9.5mm machines have their own special magic, and seem so appropriate for showing a lot of the vintage 9.5mm material. There's just something awesome about hand cranking these little machines and getting a small flickering yellow motion picture.

-

I would recommend the Pathe 'Baby', with the 300ft extension arms.

-

You can also get the'ACE' projector with a 300ft adaptor, but personally I prefer the 'Baby'. You can also get a motor for either of these machines if you prefer. One thing you will need to do is change the lamp socket to use modern halogen lighting, because the old bulbs are no longer made, and the existing wiring and dropping resistance matt could be lethal. Conversion to safe transformer driven 12 volt halogen lighting is not hard to do, and you can get very small solid state transformers which will fit neatly into the existing base of the 'Baby', or bolt to the back side of the 'ACE'. If you get to that point, I can send you my parts drawings, which I designed up myself, and you can get these machined at a local machine shop in the UK, or I could get the parts made here in the USA and you could pay me. Either way, converting the 'Baby' or the 'ACE' to 20 watt halogen lighting is well worth the effort involved, both for safety and much brighter screen illumination.

[ February 05, 2007, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2007 04:36 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

That Pathe Baby is what I am talking about. Not only is it a reel film projector, it is also a work of art in its self. I think that wonderful photo of your Grandson Jacob projecting Popeye cartoons on your Pathe visually explains what this great hobby is all about.

This is the closest we could ever get to the experience the Victorian public had when William Friese-Greene unleashed his marvel to the world. How I would love to have been that policeman!

Tonight I will treat myself to a screening of William Friese-Greene’s story, that great film “The Magic Box” sadly it will be on DVD as unlike you Paul I do not own the feature on Super 8.

Craig

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 05, 2007 05:56 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'The Magic Box' is a great movie, I feel very fortunate to have a pristine Super 8 print of it. The film really captures the Victorian era fascination with capturing moving pictures, and is essential viewing for film buffs. Having a hand cranked 9.5mm projector available, during the interval between the 1200ft reel change on the GS1200, just adds to the fun. [Wink]

- [Wink]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 06, 2007 12:03 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig,a nice little handcranker is the Noris.It is a very conventional projector with sprockets above and below the gate.It has a mains /100watt lamp. It can be motorised.A neat one!Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 09, 2007 05:39 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig.
Re what projector to get. Most start off with the Pathescope ACE, but I would look for a Lux. These will project 9~5 and also the notched title version of films. I have one of thse in my collection and they are very good and kind to film.

Another popular machine is the GEM. It will take 900ft spools and you can upgrade the lamp quickly to a modern 100watt QI type. If you get a GEM and need the lamp conver doing I would be pleased to help out. The machine also has an internal motor fitted with variable speed.

My top tip. Start with a GEM and you should find one for around £50.00 to £75.00 . If I get time I will pop a mobile video clip on Youtube so you can see one.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 09, 2007 02:06 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to seeing that Lee. I have always thought that the GEM was a very elegant looking projector with it's Art Deco design and that bullnose lens. I would love to have one, but I don't believe they made them for US supply voltages.

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2007 02:38 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow [Eek!] that's not so much a projector, more a piece of art!

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2007 04:27 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoke to Buckingham Films today & he has a Fully restored & re-painted Gem with a new modern lamp conversion fitted with original case for £110.

Tempting or what. Weather permitting I might take a trip over their this afternoon for a look around. The chances of me coming home empty handed is rather slim. [Smile]

Craig

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 10, 2007 09:53 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig. Make certain the speed control works...It will need to run for about 10 mins to see if it acts up.
Kindest regards
Uncle Lee.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2007 11:47 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig, let us know how you get on at Buckingham; I might like to make a trip there myself sometime... [Wink]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2007 11:57 AM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Paul .You could use a step up transformer (120 to 240 volts) to run a gem in the U.S.A. thats what I use here to run my Pathe Son 9.5mm projector. Alex

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 10, 2007 04:45 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Craig, tell us all about that trip and what you came home with [Eek!]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 10, 2007 04:54 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanna go too [Smile]

--------------------
Tony

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 10, 2007 05:53 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading the UK posts, you would think that a trip to Buckingham Films was a huge undertaking, but its really only about 60 miles north west of London. No matter where you live in the UK you can get there in a few hours!
I guess its all relative. Here, in the vast USA, people think nothing of driving 600 miles in one day. I do know that if there were places like Buckingham Films and Derann, just a couple of hours away over here, I would make the effort to get there.
The UK collectors are really very lucky!.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2007 02:00 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to disappoint chaps, time was against me yesterday. I will be making a trip there no later than next Saturday if anyone wants to meet up we could make a day of it.

Paul, you are right, it is less than an hours drive from where I live. There is one projector on ebay I am keeping an eye on at the moment & the seller is giving all the right answers to my questions so far. If all goes well, Buckingham films will be a trip for some films and accessories.

Craig

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2007 02:40 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig

I'm making the phemomenal trip up to Bedford next Saturday to my nephews engagement party. It'll probably take a little over two hours so I have been planning it for weeks. I'm having the car serviced and already making a comprehensive list of what to take ( flask, sandwiches, first aid kit flares shovel and St Bernard dog etc.)

I guess Buckingham will be a little over half way so after an hours driving I ought to stop and check the tires and the oil and water and let the car cool down a little, also of course inform my close friends and relatives that I am on the homeward straight. [Big Grin]

It might be a good time to meet up there and have a mosy around the shop.

Anyone else interested?

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC