8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » How to get into 9.5mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to get into 9.5mm
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 09, 2007 04:58 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I got into 9.5mm cine in the 70s it was a hard slog. I knew nothing much about it, and where to find a decent projector was a mystery! After all these years here are a few tips on how to get started.

We are talking about a vintage film gauge here, so I would avoid ebay. Vintage projectors do not travel well in the post/shipping and some machines suffer from metal fatigue causing parts to snap off.

Your first port of call should be to join Group 9.5, a UK based organisation that have two big meets a year where members come meet, watch films and buy & sell. They also publish a great magazine called 9.5 where you will find good information and classified adverts which will help you obtain films and equipment from like minded users, and not ebay wide boys. Membership is only £12.00 per year UK, or £19.00 Overseas. Our membership secretary is Ken Valentine, Stables Lodge, 111 Elstree Road, Bushey Heath, Bushey, Herts. WD23 4EG United Kingdom.

Film leader can be obtained from L.G.Pearce, Lelant House, Royston Grove, Hatch End, Pinner, Middx. HA5 4HD UK. 9.5mm leader at around £3.50 for 100ft. Super 8 @ £2.00 50ft etc.

9.5mm colour camera film can be obtained from Photoworld, 7a Victoria Street, Craig-y-don, Llandudno. LL30 1LQ UK.
Pathe H Charger reload @£7.95
50ft spool (15M) £13.95 and this includes processing. P&P within the UK.
Have used much of this film and the results are first rate.

Most people wanting to project optical sound films use either a Pathe Vox 9.5 optical sound projector, or a Son. The Son if well looked after will be OK but is not very kind to film.

If you want a magnetic record machine (hard to find) the French made a good number and I have found these to be very good indeed.Keep an eye open for a HEURTIER.

Events..
See my stall at Farnworth near Bolton UK on the 17th Feb 07 as I will have many 9.5 sound & silent projectors and films available, along with super 8 & 16. Details are already on the Forum.

Group 9.5 Spring Fair 28th April 2007 11AM.
St Gabriels Parish House, Main Hall, Churchill Gdns, Pimlico, London. S.W.1

I will post events as they come along, but the largest 9.5 event takes place later in the year at Harpenden and is the largest 9.5 event in the UK.

Ebay. If ebay is a must for you look at these items.
110088862900 (The Cinegel is a very good silent machine)

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC