8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Super 9,5 mm?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 9,5 mm?!
Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2007 07:47 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

It looks like there's also a "Super 9,5 mm"-format:
http://www.filmprojector.be/9,5mm.html
http://users.swing.be/beckerp/substand.htm
But other than Hammann producing a splicer for this format
( http://www.hammann-filmtechnik.de/html/film-cleaver.html ) and a single telecine-service ( http://www.cinesthesia.fr/formations/vieillesbobines/presentation.htm ) I haven't seen any filmstock/camera/projector/whatever for this format... ... does it still exist?

Jörg
P.S.: The "old reels" ("vieilles bobines") seem to be a "hands on"-workshop that deals with editing the telecined films rather than a plain telecine-service.

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 14, 2007 10:05 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure is!
I went to the Dutch International 9~5 Festival a couple of years ago and a chappy was filming in it. Today its a case of he (as far as I know) had the last few spools of Super 9.5 film, then that was that. Never seen it myself, but it came about as the answer to Super 16 that was used for TV production.
Regards

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 14, 2007 11:07 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So could someone explain exactly what Super 9.5mm is, or was?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 14, 2007 11:51 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Pierre Bauviala of Aaton, well known in the industry came up with Super 9~5. They say that Super 9~5 is the correct shape for HDTV register, and the VERY small number of cameras folk have had converted from 16mm via Beaulieu R16's just about says DEAD FORMAT. However, the results were said to be good and at one point a TV company was producing something in it. Or say they say.
Hope this helps.

I did take some photos of the camera in question so when I get a minute I will post one here.

Regards
Lee.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2007 04:52 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me it looks like "Super 9,5mm" is a 11,65mm-wide film (35mm split into three stripes) that is perforated in the centre like the 9,5mm-format. Since the film is wider, the frame is wider than in 9,5mm. Therefore each frame is in 16:9 aspect ratio without using any anamorphot or without wasting material by using a wider frame separator.
(Or did I get something wrong?)

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2007 04:20 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I KNOW I'm going to be sorry for asking.....if super 9.5mm is a couple of mms wider....how come it is called 9.5? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Trevor

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 23, 2007 04:10 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same thought Trev. I am assuming that Super 9.5mm is 11.66 mm film (35mm/3) with a center sprocket, thus the 9.5mm association. But like you, I have never heard of super 9.5mm. Perhaps Lee can provide a firm definition and status of this film size.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC