8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » My £2 flea market purchase

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My £2 flea market purchase
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 19, 2007 02:56 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in one of the Brighton flea markets yesterday, and whilst I have always passed on the 9.5mm bits and peices that often seem to be about, this time I made a major purchase. I shelled out a whole £2 on a film.

This utterly frivolous expenditure was brought about by the recent discussions and interest in 9.5mm that has been shown on this forum and the attendant disregard for the sensitivities for those of us with the collector gene who, like me, can't resist buying into some new technology.

So, having invested my £2 I am interested to know all I can about what it is that I have bought, its age, the length of the film and the type of projector it should be shown on. I mention type because it is clearly in a little cartridge so I am guessing that it is probably going to need a particular type of projector to view it on.

Here it is;

-

It says Clara Cluck on the box and on the side of the cartridge, the original price was 3/9 which I guess in todays money is about 24p ?

Over to you guys...

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 19, 2007 04:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,........and you thought Super 8 was addictive! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
The film you have purchased is in a 30ft or 60ft Pathe 'Baby' cassette. Probably printed in the 1920's or early 30's, it is intended to be shown on the Pathe Baby projector.

Welcome to the center sprocket- there's no going back! [Wink]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2007 07:06 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

many thanks for the information, I'm off to Arundel on Saturday to have a look at a Pathe Baby at Arundel Photographica. [Wink]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2007 07:25 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
A Pathe H projector I had years ago could run these casettes via a clamp on top of the projector. Rewinding though had to be done by hand using a small handle.

Graham

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2007 08:59 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

If you opt for a baby, its worth the extra getting one that has already been converted to run on modern electrics.

These 9.5 machines are great fun to use and watch. Your Micky Mouse cartoon will look great to, I have a couple now and they look so raw and flickery compared to modern animation.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 21, 2007 11:46 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks chaps,

I'm really excited about looking over a couple of 9.5 projectors. It was payday yesterday so I've ear marked a bit to play with on Saturday. [Wink]

Chris Nicholls at Photographica has a couple of 9.5mm machines that he has overhauled himself, including fitting modern lamps and electrics, so it is those I shall be looking at.

As a child in the 30s my Father had a projector on which he used to project Felix the Cat cartoons, I'm guessing that would have been a Pathe Baby, if I can find a Felix the Cat cartoon now I'll be all set to bring back some child hood memories for my Dad!

Mike [Smile]

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 22, 2007 05:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with your 9.5mm projector purchase Mike! Be prepared for much lower screen brightness than modern S8 projectors. As Craig points out, on these vintage machines, you will get a yellowish, fairly dim, flickering image. But it will be a very sharp one compared with a lot of Super 8 material. The low powered 20 watt Pathe Baby and ACE can probably be shown up to about a maximum of 2ft wide on a glass beaded screen. Other projectors such as the 100 watt Pathe GEM or the 500 watt 9.5mm Specto can of course go a lot larger, particularly when converted to modern quartz- halogen lighting.
To see 9.5mm at its full 16mm quality potential you need the ELF conversion from Buckingham films, but I suspect that's not really what you are looking for.
The fact is, small, dim , flickering images of Felix the Cat, Popeye, or Betty Boop is one of the nostalgic charms of 9.5mm.... [Wink]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2007 07:11 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, Paul

Just screened my first Betty Boop cartoon last night, I only have one at the moment. They are great cartoons and the kids loved it even though it was silent. I will certainly be on the look out for more Betty & Mickey titles.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC