8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » 9.5mm sound projector for sale

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 9.5mm sound projector for sale
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 22, 2007 11:05 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have decided to part with one of my 9.5mm projectors (yes I do have a few). It is a Pathescope SON 9.5mm sound projector in visual superb condition.

About it.
The Son projectors do take some looking after so don't get interested if you are not up to a little loving care giving folks. This machine is in a very good visial condition and has been converted to modern QI 100 watt lighting, and also has the finest lens for it. They came with a fairly krappy lens as standard by the way. Have not used this machine for years so it could do with a rewire as the old cotton wound mains lead is still in place etc.

Running condition.
The motor runs fine and the variable speed is also good. Optical sound was rather low, but that's the Son for you. At present the lamp does not come on so I expect the lamp switch may be faulty. (I have only had this on display by the way)

If you are looking for a Son in very good cosmetic condition but needs a little work this may interest you.

Send me a private message if you are interested and I will do my best to answer any questions.

UK only please unless you are offering some sort of swap which we both agree to.
Thanks.

You can see what a Son looks like on this site
http://chpsagr.site4all.gr/images/PATHESCOPESON9.5mmSOUNDPROJECTOR.jpg

UPDATE: This machine is now under offer.

[ February 23, 2007, 05:34 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 23, 2007 06:00 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like I am going to have my first 9.5mm machine. Thanks Lee.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 23, 2007 08:31 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow Kev! Talk about jumping right into the deep end! [Big Grin] But the Son is a great looking machine, and should provide you with a real technical challenge to get the best out of it.
Good luck, and welcome to 9.5mm.

.....at this rate, we'll soon have all the S8 crowd getting into 9.5mm!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 24, 2007 04:30 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul, I have to admit that I'm quite excited about getting my hands on this quriky French format.

What I will have to do is try to find the circuits for this machine as I would think that after all these years there must be capacitors etc in the amp which are probably not at their best. Any ideas on sources for this kind of info?

Cheers, Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2007 07:24 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go Kev,

Please don't expect anything near the GS1200, just expect 100% pure vintage entertainment.

Although my main interest is in 8mm I do however want to obtain two classic vintage 9.5 features. They are.

Abel Gance's Napoleon. Stunning visual movie, highly recommended
Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

Tony at Buckingham films has a copy of Metropolis on five reels but is a little pricey considering I have the Super 8 sound feature already. I know that the 9.5mm copy is visually better due to frame size & print quality.

Lee, forgive my memory, but when I was at Tony's last week he had a Arnie feature on super 8 for sale. I forget if it was Terminator or Predator. I was to busy drooling over all his 9.5mm stock.

Looks like any 9.5 dealers at the BFCC this May are in for a nice surprise takings wise.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 24, 2007 10:24 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Craig, Does Tony have many 9.5 sound shorts. I want something to test this machine with but he hasnt really got anything listed on his web site.

Kev.

--------------------

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2007 10:56 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev

Tony's website is a bit like Classic Home Cinemas, not updated very often. He has a ton of 9.5mm films compared to his website.

Best thing to do is to drop him an email and ask to be put on his email film list. If he pulls off a pending deal he will have literally hundreds of new 9.5 & new 8mm titles in stock.

I am going back to the shop next week & will pick you a sound short as a test reel.

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2007 12:17 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Kevin try Buckingham films for your circuit dia., for the Son 9.5mm projector.If you have no luck with them then I could send you a copy of the circuit for the Mkii Son also copy of instuction for this m/c Alex

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 25, 2007 05:16 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alex, Didn't know there were 2 versions. What the difference between them.

Kev.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 25, 2007 05:18 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig, Thanks for the info. Sounds like a trip to his shop would be in order at some point.

Kev.

--------------------

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 25, 2007 05:40 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will have some sound films for sale later this year when we have our summer sort out. Keep an eye here. Most of the best films from Buckingham go to France as in January they have a huge photo market. The French pay 3 times what we do in the UK for sound films and projectors by the way if you are thinking of going.

Price guide for fairly good condition optical sound films.
1 reel cartoons sell for around £18
6 reel features around £75
9 reel features £100
Above price guides will vary if the film is a rare one, but I sold some 1 reelers at Farnworth from £10 to £25. As I say, rare titles in good order do fetch a price.

Betty Boops are a plenty as are Popeyes. If you are looking for bargain priced sound films start with a Popeye.

I had a rare Steve the Horse cartoon at Farnworth which sold for £25.00 within 60 seconds of my stall trading!

Out of interest I still have some of the Steve the Horse cartoon DVD'S available should anyone want one. £12.00 and post free for Forum members. All 6 films were digitally transfered from 9.5 optical sound prints. Send me a PM for details.

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2007 08:49 AM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin, The only difference that I am aware off between the two m/c's was that Pathescope fitted a switch in the exciter lamp circuit to control it as the lamp was always on on the Mk1 projector Alex

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted February 25, 2007 05:51 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that info Alex. Might take you up on the offer of the circuit etc.

Kev.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC